Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First oshkosh

We arrive Sat then on Sun am, our favorite is to take lawn chairs, binos, hats, sunscreen, portable aircraft radio, snag a schedule of the forums and head for the S side of runway 9/27 and watch the aircraft all come in. What a show! All the time perusing the topics offered in the Forums tents and putting a star next to the talks we don't want to miss. Best part of the whole show is the beginning of the week!

Cary, I wonder if you ever eat at the Charcoal Broiler in Ft. Collins? It is just a couple of blocks due south of the middle of the runway,
    Yup. Been there many, many times. It's been there just about 50 years, as I recall. The Fort Collins Downtown airport has been closed for several years, though, so referencing the runway (which does still exist, with X's at both ends and a couple of ditches cut through it) won't work for most these days.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

and head for the S side of runway 9/27 and watch the aircraft all come in
    One of my favorite OSH "things to do"--sit at the fence line and watch the landings. Flying into OSH is relatively easy (anticipating flying into OSH the first time is the hardest part), but you'd be surprised how many people forget everything they ever learned about landing an airplane. Failing to slow to an appropriate final approach speed is the biggest error. The pattern for 27 is right hand and relatively tight, so practicing a close-in right hand pattern might be a good thing to do, too.

It helps to practice spot landings and slow flight the week before, because everyone is directed to land on a specific spot and to make their last few miles in at 90 knots (except for the hi-perf airplanes, which come in faster), and reading and following the NOTAM is essential--but it's obvious that many don't do that, which screws things up for others. But it's still fun to watch and critique. We need number signs, like they do at the Olympics.

Cary

Most people don't train enough and they've typically been flying longer than they have been in the last year (or ever) to get to Oshkosh so after slogging through the highly stressful RIPON - FISK transition they're pretty much spent by the time they get to the runway. The dots are there just to space out the arriving traffic ATC doesn't care if you hit the dot just that you're somewhere in the vicinity of it. A better practice would be to practice putting it down on the numbers but giving it a little power and holding it in the air longer. The whole idea is you're flying 50 mph or whatever in the air and you'll be down to 20 or less once you touch down, so if there's nobody in front of you and there's people behind, they want you to land long.

My wife got her certificate about three weeks before Oshkosh. Knowing that people were sitting there watching and critiquing landings, she got to about VPZ and told me I could fly the last leg. The next year, when we had the Navion, she actually flew it all the way into the field.

I offer this webinar re flying in.
    http://bcove.me/he7cm7hf

As a well seasoned Camp Scholler resident, it's shoes shoes shoes. Take care of your feet!

This will be my first trip to AV and on my bucket list for nearly 10 years. Life has always gotten the way and I now actually have a living wage job WITH paid vacation! I tried the ride share flying into AV but was only contacted by heritage aircraft looking to fund the flight at many times the commercial ticket per seat. Although a once in a lifetime opportunity it would not be prudent to blow the wad all at once.
    I am flying into Milwaukee ( SW airlines) on Saturday midday and hope to hitch a ride to AV. EAA Logo Sign should do it. Staying at Scholer in backpack style.
    I have been to HQ a few years ago for Chapter leadership conference and can say it was an amazing experience having dinner with Audrey and Paul, full behind the ropes access to the museum (wonder if my nose print is still on the Bugatti canopy?) and meeting staff. Two thumbs up on the museum - even if you have to stay in front of the ropes. It was a pretty emotional experience for me as I am sure for all first timers. The place is haunted by the millions of loving hours spent building the planes in that big room.
    A few questions: I have read that there is a major shipper (UPS/FedEx) on site. Is it possible to send a box ahead to be picked up once I arrive?
    I have a CPAP machine and I plan on running it on a battery but will need daily recharging... what are my options?
    I have heard, here and other places, that food is now plentiful and reasonably priced - what does that mean in real dollars?
    Since I have seen many of the airshow acts at other shows is the option to skip the show and take a midday nap an option in the camp ground? (noise)
    Leaving on the following Saturday evening... what options are there for return to Milwaukee airport?
    Thanks in advance
    Jim
    Sacramento

I think there may be bus service from Mil to Osh, but likely not from the airport so might need a taxi at the ends. May be some folks driving up from Mil so maybe you can prearrange a ride up on the EAA rideshare site.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Heffelfinger View Post
    I offer this webinar re flying in.
    http://bcove.me/he7cm7hf
    The webinar is helpful, but keep in mind that the NOTAM changes from year to year. The changes may be minor, but they are there. So it's pretty important to review it, have a copy in the airplane to refer to, and follow it. Some of its requirements are different from what you've been trained to do--best example is no replying to ATC, unless specifically asked to reply. Another is that you're normally identified by aircraft apparent type, like in my case I often hear "STOL Cessna with the big light" or "red and white STOL Cessna"--because I have droopy tips on the airplane and pulsing landing lights. And don't forget to turn off your transponder!

Cary

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Heffelfinger View Post
    This will be my first trip to AV and on my bucket list for nearly 10 years. Life has always gotten the way and I now actually have a living wage job WITH paid vacation! I tried the ride share flying into AV but was only contacted by heritage aircraft looking to fund the flight at many times the commercial ticket per seat. Although a once in a lifetime opportunity it would not be prudent to blow the wad all at once.
    I am flying into Milwaukee ( SW airlines) on Saturday midday and hope to hitch a ride to AV. EAA Logo Sign should do it. Staying at Scholer in backpack style.
    I have been to HQ a few years ago for Chapter leadership conference and can say it was an amazing experience having dinner with Audrey and Paul, full behind the ropes access to the museum (wonder if my nose print is still on the Bugatti canopy?) and meeting staff. Two thumbs up on the museum - even if you have to stay in front of the ropes. It was a pretty emotional experience for me as I am sure for all first timers. The place is haunted by the millions of loving hours spent building the planes in that big room.
    A few questions: I have read that there is a major shipper (UPS/FedEx) on site. Is it possible to send a box ahead to be picked up once I arrive?
    I have a CPAP machine and I plan on running it on a battery but will need daily recharging... what are my options?
    I have heard, here and other places, that food is now plentiful and reasonably priced - what does that mean in real dollars?
    Since I have seen many of the airshow acts at other shows is the option to skip the show and take a midday nap an option in the camp ground? (noise)
    Leaving on the following Saturday evening... what options are there for return to Milwaukee airport?
    Thanks in advance
    Jim
    Sacramento
    I don't have answers to all your questions, but some.
    >I have not used the UPS service, but I've talked to pilots who did, so that's a possibility.
    >There is a "charging station" for electronics recharging, which is secure, which I recommend using. It's been near the Vintage headquarters. Some people just plug in at the showers, but there is a risk of theft, even at OSH--I had a unique spare cell phone battery and charger "disappear" several years ago.
    >Plan on spending about $8-10 for each meal, depending on where you go and how much you eat (breakfasts are ala carte, for instance).
    >I often do other things instead of watching the air shows every day, but whether you can nap, I can't say. Some acts, especially the military jets, are really loud. This year is the first time the Thunderbirds will be there--you won't be able to nap during their act!

Spend some time on the Airventure website--it'll answer many of your questions.

Cary