Thread: subscribed threads

subscribed threads

For some reason this morning, I got a whole bunch of "new message posted in a thread you subscribed to" emails this morning. However, I have never subscribed to any thread here... it's something I do only on other forums where I rarely visit and want to be informed if something new comes up on a question I've posted. Is there something new here, like automatically subscribing when you post a reply? I see it's checked below right now (until I unchecked it), or is that just when you create a new thread?

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Hi Dana -

In troubleshooting an issue where some users weren't getting notifications at all, I tested a settings change yesterday. It essentially adds a little more information about the sender when the system sends an email to a user, and is supposed to lessen the likelihood of messages getting caught in spam filters.

I didn't make any change to any subscription settings, so, what this means is, you're suddenly getting email that you technically should have been getting all along.

I don't want anyone to be spammed, obviously, and it looks like I did miss a setting that defaults to daily emails of subscribed threads, so, to you and anyone else who is suddenly getting emails they don't want, or has been all along, my apologies!

I've changed this for new users, but if you want to change it for your existing account, just click Settings at the top, then General Settings on the left, and you'll see the options under Default Thread Subscription Mode.

Sorry for the extra email -

Regards,

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Dana, you are/were subscribed automatically to any thread you replied in. You can also subscribe to a thread you haven't commented on.

Thanks Hal, it is great to see tech support that is responsive and effective!
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    Dana, you are/were subscribed automatically to any thread you replied in.
    Hmmmm....was news to me, too. Used to get messages for threads I'd started, but just recently started getting emails for anything I'd participated in.

To turn off the feature, go to the "Settings" link at the top of the page, then select "General Settings" under "My Account." About half-way down is a pull-down box titled "Default Thread Subscription Mode". I changed mine to "Do Not Subscribe."

Make sure you click the "Save Changes" button on the very bottom of the page.

Ron Wanttaja

OK, thanks!

[QUOTE=rwanttaja;10169To turn off the feature, go to the "Settings" link at the top of the page, then select "General Settings" under "My Account." About half-way down is a pull-down box titled "Default Thread Subscription Mode". I changed mine to "Do Not Subscribe."

Make sure you click the "Save Changes" button on the very bottom of the page.

Ron Wanttaja[/QUOTE]

i've done that. at least twice, maybe more. doesn't work. every time i post to a forum i get subscribed to it. yet when i go to "general settings" and check my subscription status, it shows "do not subscribe". wish it did work the way you described, Ron, this is a royal PITA. if i were royal, that is, which i'm not. so i guess it's just one more example of how computers don't care what people want, HAL will do it his way (HAL from "2001", not Hal from EAA). IBM really stands for "it's better manually."

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    'HAL will do it his way (HAL from "2001", not Hal from EAA).
    Thanks for clarifying that...!

Kidding aside, I'm trying to figure out what's up here - I looked at your account and verified that it's set to "do not subscribe." Just to confirm, you're getting subscribed (getting emails when threads are updated) any time you create a new topic or any time you post / reply, period?

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    Just to confirm, you're getting subscribed (getting emails when threads are updated) any time you create a new topic or any time you post / reply, period?
    not since you posted that yesterday, Hal. did you us'ta repair tv's? i remember the old tube-type would go on the fritz and sometimes mysteriously repair themselves after Mom called the repair guy. after a couple times, he'd call before leaving the shop for the house. wonder if anybody even bothers to repair tv's anymore? bet they don't make house calls!

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    To turn off the feature, go to the "Settings" link at the top of the page, then select "General Settings" under "My Account." About half-way down is a pull-down box titled "Default Thread Subscription Mode". I changed mine to "Do Not Subscribe."

Ron Wanttaja
    Thanks, Ron, for making the adjustment clear and easy for me. Oddly enough, it's why I logged on today - apart from prostituting my N11 build, of course.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.