Thread: LSA/Sport Pilot Forum

LSA/Sport Pilot Forum

I was wondering if there would be any interest in an LSA/Sport Pilot section in the forums. I use the ultralight and general forums; but, a new forum might be nice to have. Thanks!

I would be interested
    "The exhilaration of flying is too keen, the pleasure too great, for it to be neglected as a sport"— Orville Wright
    Tim OConnor, CFI, Commercial Pilot Rotorcraft, Sport Pilot Fixed Wing, FAA Advanced Ground Instructor:..
    You CAN Afford to FLY ! --> http://www.YouCanAffordToBeAPilot.com

What do you say, moderators ? I think this would be a valid, reasonable section of interest and would fit in very well with the Hanger Talk, Maintenace etc. groups. I would be interested.

EDGEFLY

I say go for it even though a lot of the topics on here are germane to LSA and UL more than anything else and they readily show up in searches and in the "new posts" feed. I would similarly suggest a "high-performance, non-warbird" section for those of us interested in that area if we're going to start compartmentalizing the site.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    I've gotta say that we've kicked around the idea of a specific LSA / Sport Pilot forum before, and it's always been a little inconclusive. It's no secret that I'm a little stubborn about adding new forums because I hate to see boards that get too fragmented and end up with a bunch of areas that only get a little traffic once in a while. The struggle with LSA / Sport Pilot is that there's a fair amount of crossover with multiple other boards - Ultralights, Learning to Fly, Homebuilders and Vintage in particular. Think about a sport pilot flying a Champ, a private pilot flying a Quicksilver MX2, or an ATP who flies an RV-12 she built - they're all LSAs but the Champ pilot is probably more at home in Vintage, the Quicksilver is likely going to find more support in Ultralights, and the RV-12 driver is probably going to gravitate toward Homebuilts... It just gets to be hard to pin down.

While I've absolutely erred on the side of "caution" (fewer forums rather than more) I'm wide open to the discussion. Show me how much interest there is and what sorts of topics you'd see that don't fit well in the boards we've got.

Regardless, thanks to all of you for taking an active interest in helping shape *your* forums.

Cheers -

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

I still think that an LSA/Sport Pilot forum would be nice. As all the forums have crossovers, this one would, as well. However, I think it would be a benefit to have a place to discuss the unique aspects of light sport. The auto pilot thread in the Hangar Talk forum is indicative of the misunderstandings and different outlooks of "normal" pilots and sport pilots. My airplane could be considered the world's heaviest ultralight; but, we travel in it, albeit at 65 knots. Light sport is in its infancy and a lot of sport pilots are newbies. We are eager to learn the lore and traditions of aviation; but, we have some fairly unique interests, as well. E.A.A encompasses so many aspects of aviation, I believe this one could use a boost by having a haven to discuss things pertaining to just light sport.

Chick, you seem to be focused on the real edges of what I'd call LSA, that of powered ultrallights and hot air ballons. My guess is that means the interest is going to be even less widespread, but enjoy flying it even if it is not done by more people.
    And it seems like you could do it under the ultralight section of this forum.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-21-2012 at 07:25 PM.