Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Successful Chapter Building Projects

Successful Chapter Building Projects

Hey All, I am a new Chapter President (since January). My chapter is fortunate enough to have a beautiful hangar with an upstairs workshop, a metal shop, a TIG welder and plenty of space for meetings, pancake breakfasts, and now building projects. However, our chapter has never done a true building project, just two recovering projects. Can anyone share how their chapter ran a building project? I am specifically interested in how you financed the build, how you ran building sessions, experimental or certificated (rebuilding), what you did with the airplane when it was done, etc.

Anyone out there that can help? I figured there would be a lot of chapters that have built airplanes.

As you probably know, EAA Chapters cannot operate a chapter-owned aircraft. EAA Chapter 64 formed a separate sub-group a couple of years ago called the Scrounge Dawgs to build and fly a Pietenpol. It will be ready for first flight within the next week or two. Scrounge Dawgs is a separate not-for-profit organization, but all members are also Chapter members. I'm not a Scrounge Dawg member, but I've been following their progress closely since it began. When it was formed each member "bought" a fraction of the plane and all will be owners when it is completed. They meet a couple of times each week to work on it. I don't think anyone has more than $5K in it. When the group was formed, they offered a FREE share of ownership to any young person who was willing to join and work on the project. (What a deal! Unfortunately, I don't think anyone took advantage of that offer.) It's been a great project for the owners and a big motivator for our Chapter.
    The Scounge Dawg's Yahoo Group can be found at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...gAviation/info

As you probably know, EAA Chapters cannot operate a chapter-owned aircraft.
    Correct. But could they not build an aircraft as a chapter project and sell it? Is there any publication that outlines what a chapter can or can not do under the EAA banner?

Chapters can most definitely build an airplane! However, as stated once the airplane is completed it must leave the chapter because they can't have an airworthy aircraft. The list of do's and do not's for the chapters is available here: http://www.eaa.org/~/media/files/eaa...ance_guide.pdf

There are a lot of chapters that have built or restored aircraft, many have it on their websites. Unfortunately we don't have an easy way to give you a list, but there are a bunch out there.

Whats the reasoning behind not being able to have an airworthy aircraft?

Even though chapters are separate legal entities, there's still the relationship to the mother ship. Jeff Skiles mentioned the quote they got for liability insurance for EAA if chapters operated aircraft. I forgot the number, but it was absurdly expensive.

Doesn't EAA headquarters operate an airworthy aircraft/flying club for employees? Wasn't this supposed to be the "model" to set up future chapter flying activities? What's the status on that?

http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?...yee-Clubs-RV6A

Sure would like to hear someone from the EAA answer the previous post. The EAA has an employee flying club, that has built and continues to own the aircraft. How can this be possible in light of the guidance the EAA has provided to the chapters. Even if, the employee flying club is a separate legal entity, the same connection to the mothership certainly exists.
    Last edited by Marty Santic; 11-04-2014 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Santic View Post
    Sure would like to hear someone from the EAA answer the previous post. The EAA has an employee flying club, that has built and continues to own the aircraft. How can this be possible in light of the guidance the EAA has provided to the chapters. Even if, the employee flying club is a separate legal entity, the same connection to the mothership certainly exists.
    I don't believe the same relationship exists between the Employee Flying Club and EAA as between a Chapter and EAA. IMHO they are completely different animals. A flying club implies partial ownership of the aircraft, or at least a financial interest in some part of the club, a Chapter does not. A club is more of an operational structure and financial system, a Chapter is purely social. I would need to go back through some of my old stuff regarding the flying club I was president of, and look at the Chapter info too.

I am not a lawyer nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, YMMV.
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem