Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: EAA Ultralight fly-in..By invitation only

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,604

    EAA Ultralight fly-in..By invitation only

    I guess the EAA believes we have so many ultralights that if they do not make this by invitation only, the air venture grounds will be overwhelmed with ultralights and no place for them all?

    Just a question as to why by..Invitation only.

    Tony

  2. #2
    rwanttaja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,339
    Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I guess the EAA believes we have so many ultralights that if they do not make this by invitation only, the air venture grounds will be overwhelmed with ultralights and no place for them all?

    Just a question as to why by..Invitation only.

    Tony
    Could be because it's in Class D airspace, and they have to use special procedures to allow a large number of NORDO aircraft in. According to the news release from EAA, the invited ultralight pilots receive special briefings and arrive en masse. Hard to do with ad hoc visitors.

    Ron Wanttaja

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Clarklake, MI
    Posts
    2,403
    Does EAA have to pay for those additional ATC services as well?

  4. #4
    EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oshkosh, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    1,269
    We're not using the AirVenture grounds per se, just Pioneer Airport. The need for the invitation is primarily because of the special procedures that have to be followed that allow us to operate a non-towered airport that is all but surrounded by Wittman Field. As Ron said, we can't really provide the briefings if we don't know who to brief.

    To Marty's question, no - there really are no additional ATC services.

    Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime #638979
    Senior Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Could be because it's in Class D airspace, and they have to use special procedures to allow a large number of NORDO aircraft in. According to the news release from EAA, the invited ultralight pilots receive special briefings and arrive en masse. Hard to do with ad hoc visitors.

    Ron Wanttaja
    So why hold the event somewhere that the aircraft asking to attend can not even fly into without an invitation. Maybe I am missing something here.

    How did you get this magic list of people who was able to attend this gathering by invitation?

    Tony
    Last edited by 1600vw; 06-13-2014 at 07:24 AM.

  6. #6
    EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oshkosh, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    1,269
    Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    So why hold the event somewhere that the aircraft asking to attend can not even fly into.

    Tony
    I don't understand your question, Tony. Obviously they can fly-in, or there'd be no event. Pioneer isn't normally open to the public at all, but we're able to open it occasionally for events just like this.

    Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime #638979
    Senior Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    I don't understand your question, Tony. Obviously they can fly-in, or there'd be no event. Pioneer isn't normally open to the public at all, but we're able to open it occasionally for events just like this.
    They can fly in but not Joe Public. I get an notice to an event but on the notice it says only by invitation. How does one get this invitation? To me its says...we are having an event but if you are not invited please refrain from coming.

    Tony

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,604
    Did I miss the announcement that stated....We are having an event by invitation only. If you want to attained you had better get your invitation turned back in so we can put you on the list.

    This is the list I speak of. Did I miss this or was this list made behind closed doors. This is what I am asking, How did these people on this list get on this list. This is all I am asking, so next time maybe someone who wanted to be on the list can be. Seems simple enough. maybe I missed something is all I am asking. What did I miss, if I missed nothing why was this event handled this way. Simple.

    Tony

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Did I miss the announcement that stated....We are having an event by invitation only. If you want to attained you had better get your invitation turned back in so we can put you on the list.

    This is the list I speak of. Did I miss this or was this list made behind closed doors. This is what I am asking, How did these people on this list get on this list. This is all I am asking, so next time maybe someone who wanted to be on the list can be. Seems simple enough. maybe I missed something is all I am asking. What did I miss, if I missed nothing why was this event handled this way. Simple.

    Tony
    Hal,

    Simply stated, how should one have gone about getting "invited" to this event?

  10. #10
    rwanttaja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,339
    Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    So why hold the event somewhere that the aircraft asking to attend can not even fly into without an invitation. Maybe I am missing something here.

    How did you get this magic list of people who was able to attend this gathering by invitation?
    Well, the invitation said that members of two EAA Ultralight chapters had received the special briefing, so I expect people who had been a member of those chapters were on a fly-in invitation list. I don't know anything about the chapters, but I suspect they're local to Oshkosh, which makes the briefing relatively easy to arrange.

    In any case, I was in Oshkosh last week (on my three-times-a-year trip to sneak in and mess up the settings on Hal's office chair while he's out to lunch) and notice there was tons of automobile parking. If one is interested in the event, I expect one can drive in an attend everything. I once went to a Fly Baby fly-in where I drove in....no one treated me any lower (not that that would be possible...:-).

    Ron Wanttaja

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •