Thread: Quiet generators...other than Honda?

Quiet generators...other than Honda?

Hey folks,

Over the past several AirVenture's, I have rented a Honda eu3000i for the week, which typically runs $225-250 or so. These are obviously quite expensive to purchase at over 2 grand, and we are now looking to purchase a generator to go with a pop-up camper purchase. So I am wondering if there is an alternative to the sweet Honda at a more affordable price point that someone has experience with.

Thanks!
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Yamaha makes a line of portable generators with electronic frequency control like the Honda. It's noise output is equal to the small Honda generators. Equal in price too, even for used ones on ebay.

For about 1 yr I used a Generac portable generator with my pop-up. It was only 800 watts so I just used it to keep the battery charged. The noise output was ~65db so it was fairly quiet - very close to the Honda. New it was about 60% the price of a Honda/Yamaha portable quiet generator. On ebay they are about 1/2 as much as a comparable size Honda/Yamaha.
    Last edited by martymayes; 06-09-2014 at 08:38 AM.

I just bought two Champion 2000W inverters with the parallel kit. They're just as quiet and perform like the Honda at less than half the price. I can use one most of the time or fire them both up to power the whole RV including the air conditioner. See http://www.championpowerequipment.co...rators/73536i/

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated!
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

I sell Ariens & Gravely outdoor equipment. (a WI company btw) and they introduced a 2000i inverter to their line this year. I have one on the floor and it is quiet....but not being a regular camper I don't know how it compares to the other units your discussing here. It's rated for 2000 watts starting and 1600 continuous. Regular retail is $849 and on spring promos most deaers would be at $749.
    Here's a link http://www.gravely.com/en-us/chore-finishers/generator
    I would bet there are plenty of local dealers in your area.

Kent

I didn't know Gravely was even still around. An older friend of mine has a small barn full of their walk behind tractors.

Here's one I found on Amazon at a pretty good price:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&tag=opeinc-20
    Name:  71odZx0Do-L._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 1348
Size:  88.1 KB
    Last edited by FunInAviation; 06-10-2014 at 04:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    I didn't know Gravely was even still around. An older friend of mine has a small barn full of their walk behind tractors.
    They now sell zero turn radius mowers and other modern conveniences.....lol