Thread: Replica Plans SE-5A builders and pilots wanted

Replica Plans SE-5A builders and pilots wanted

I am looking for people who have built, have flown or both, the Replica Plans SE-5A. I am building one and want to get as much info on this project as possible. I live in Oshkosh Wisconsin and if anyone is near enough would like to get together and talk.Thanks.
    Mark

Hey guys,
    Just added a photo album on my home page. It is pictures of the SE5A build and parts that I acquired that were already built. pretty good progress is being made and I am ready to get the parts for the controls welded up. Then I can install them in the fuselage. I think I have built 211 parts so far. Your comments are always welcome and enjoyed. Thanks.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mtgunner View Post
    Hey guys,
    Just added a photo album on my home page.
    You might consider posting a link to your home page.... or do you mean your album on the forum?

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 05-30-2015 at 12:51 AM.

Wow... I looked in the album... I'm amazed how much time is wasted to hold parts for tack welding...

I've seen this kind of stuff before... over the top jigging
    Gotta Fly...
    JAM

Well, you're already over at The Aerodrome's forums, so I don't know if you'd get much better help - unless one lived in Oshkosh....um, well, I think you can find an organization full of folks to help.

On over jigging - we've all done it, and I'll bear witness that while it might not get better results than the minimums, no harm ever came from it. Heck, a lot of my jigs came in two versions: the Rube Goldberg overly complicated one and the stripped down version of it I actually used.

A lot of times I found that making the jig instructed me on the purpose and reason for the construction laid out in the plans. No amount of staring at a piece of drawing can really bring things home like fitting the pieces together.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Some suggested that I post a link to my albums so here it is. http://eaaforums.org/member.php?25043-mtgunner
    Just highlight the link and right click on it. That will bring up a drop down menu and towards the bottom it will say " go to and have the link". Left click on that and that should take you to my profile page. There you will see pictures that I posted. Just left click on a picture and that will enlarge it and there will be a description on the bottom. Then in upper right hand corner there will be the prev/next buttons. If you have any problems let me know. Thanks.
    Mark

Hey planecrazzzy,
    I have 3 other fixtures that I need to take pictures of and post but have not had time yet. However to total hours for making the fixtures came to about 16 so that is not too bad. At least I will know everything is going to be straight and in correct alignment.
    Mark

Don't be so sure

Quote Originally Posted by mtgunner View Post
    Hey planecrazzzy,
    I have 3 other fixtures that I need to take pictures of and post but have not had time yet. However to total hours for making the fixtures came to about 16 so that is not too bad. At least I will know everything is going to be straight and in correct alignment.
    Mark
    I've been a Welder/Fabricator for years.... Just because it was Jigged... Doesn't guarantee it'll end up that way...

I can weld and pull something square.... Or you can tack something square... and someone can weld it crooked...

Balance welds are the trick..... or unbalanced if you need to pull in a certain direction...

I keep it simple...Even my Rib Jig or Fuselage Jig....I see others and wonder why they are so complicated...
    http://www.wingsforum.com/viewforum.php?f=320

Name:  Rib Jig with spruce pieces 009.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  58.9 KB
    Name:  HPIM1119.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  44.3 KB
    Name:  Fuselage Side Jig (7).jpg
Views: 542
Size:  43.9 KB
    Last edited by planecrazzzy; 06-09-2015 at 08:23 PM.

16 ???? Minutes or Hours ?

Oh crap... I just saw you posted that it was Hours... Wow...
    Gotta Fly...
    JAM
    Last edited by planecrazzzy; 06-10-2015 at 02:48 PM.

I work at Basler Turbo Conversions and we have 2 amazing welders. Well 1 just retired but he has been welding airplane parts for the turbo conversion for over 25 years. He said he would do the welding for me so I am very confident that everything will turn out top quality. However I know exactly what you mean about balanced welds and being able to pull something out of alignment by welding it wrong. Thanks for the tip though and keep them coming if you got them. I appreciate any comments because there are probably many things that I don't know or have not thought of. Thanks again.
    Mark