Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Runway markingss

Runway markingss

Sorry if this has been posted here elsewhere, but with all the time I spent searching the web last weekend, I've used up my monthly wasting valuable time on the web allowance. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I have heard different discussions on this subject numerous times over the years but am looking for something official in writing. This should be easy and maybe it is.

One does not have to look too far to find required runway markings for paved runways. My FAR/AIM manual is full of it along with thousands of other places in the web. Everything official I found was on paved runways.

My quest is for standards and/or requirements for grass runways. I'm interested both public use or private strips. I do not recall where, but I found a document stating markings for turf runways is the same as paved. I should have saved a link to it, but I was too far beyond to go back.

Thank you in advance for any input.

How are you going to mark grass, and have it last past the first mowing?
    Generally, perimeter and ends are marked either with lights on posts or cones.

Thanks for the reply. I have seen many interpretations on perimeter markings, including those you mentioned, barrels, painted boards, you name it. When coming into or moving around on one of these airports, I have not encountered an interpretation problem.

In asking, one gentleman told me there are no requirements. He said to just try and find one. So up to the challenge, I spent an excessive amount of last Saturday searching the web, with nothing official being found..

I forgot about the half barrels and painted boards along the perimeter. I don't think there are any real standards set in stone, there could be some kind of objects to mark the sides and ends, to nothing at all.
    I'm not quite sure what you're after, or why.

I frequent grass strips and now, just too many times have heard conversations and opinions on the subject. The closest I have gathered, there are no regulations or requirements as to markings on grass strips.

It just seems there must be.

Quote Originally Posted by C150L View Post
    I frequent grass strips and now, just too many times have heard conversations and opinions on the subject. The closest I have gathered, there are no regulations or requirements as to markings on grass strips.

It just seems there must be.
    If you are looking for markings when landing on my grass strip you're going to be disappointed, as are most of the grass strips around here. The only ones with markings are those big fancy grass strips.

Quote Originally Posted by krw920 View Post
    I've never seen a grass strip like the one described in the document, other than having grass mowed right up to a fence.

I've also never before seen a rectangle with the dimensions of 60 x 10 feet described as "sixty feet wide and ten feet long."

The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Thanks KRW. I had seen that document. Didn't know it came from the FFA.gov site. By time I read it, I was well past that page and was not sure where it came from.

I have never seen the concrete pads at any grass strips I've been in. Public or private. Have seen some cone down the sides or the run ways for boundary markers, but not regularly. As I was reading this doc last week end, I thought it was some individual(s) recommendations, not an official FAA guide.

I have seen tires and barrels and other high mass objects used, but that often raises questions and some of the discussions I've heard here and there.

FAA document for paved runways in contrast to the turf FAA doc:
    http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publi...m/aim0203.html
    Last edited by C150L; 06-03-2014 at 08:10 PM. Reason: new link

Marty, I'm not looking for any markings in particular. I consider if they are there, but can operate just as well with out. Doubt I'd be disappointed if I came to your place.