Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Runway markingss

Unless you've got certain instrument approaches, there aren't any "required" markings. We had an paved airport in central Virginia that didn't have any runway markings. At the pressure of the Virginia Department of Aviation the manager finally put runway numbers on the thing....in roman numerals.

At the two grass strips I have hangared, both had boundary marks. One was made from big pieces of a rubber conveyor belt. This was then painted white. The other field was made from gravel at about 2' wide and maybe 5' long. Both had the traditional L shape, and both had almost all but grown over with grass. We did go out and uncover them but it does not take long and they are covered or grown over again.

Tony

Our grass strip only has the runway lights (both at the end and along the sides). I've seen concrete markers, I've seen tires used. South Lakeland marks their threshold with 5 gallon paint buckets.

Happy

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Unless you've got certain instrument approaches, there aren't any "required" markings. We had an paved airport in central Virginia that didn't have any runway markings. At the pressure of the Virginia Department of Aviation the manager finally put runway numbers on the thing....in roman numerals.
    That's hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post

That is awesome. What did the department say?

Tim

They weren't surprised given the airport manager.

At least the runway wasn't 10-28.
    Last edited by FlyingRon; 06-05-2014 at 04:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by krw920 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    I've never seen a grass strip like the one described in the document, other than having grass mowed right up to a fence.

I've also never before seen a rectangle with the dimensions of 60 x 10 feet described as "sixty feet wide and ten feet long."

Aero Estates (T25) in Texas is the only has strip I have run across so far that has the concrete pads.

http://www.aeroestatesairpark.com/tour/index2.htm