Thread: Experimental helicopter to certified

Experimental helicopter to certified

I have found a lot of info on shifting an aircraft to an experimental status, but nothing about going the other way. We have a Huey that is classified as experimental, and we will need to get her certified. What is the easiest or least painful way of doing this? Is there something on the FAA web site that I missed?

I suspect it's buried in 8130.2G but essentially you make an application and must show the ASI or designee that the aircraft is once again in conformance with it's type certificate.

No good news from here I'm afraid, seems I recall the reason you did not see it going the other way or saw nothing on the FAA web site about it is because it doesn't go that way I.E. once converted always converted.

Sorry Blue Chips, but that is INCORRECT.

The big question is why it was placed in the Experimental category (and which of the experimental certificate flavors it has). If it was a transitioned military bird, it might indeed not be able to be conventionally certificated (but that has squat to do with the fact that it was made experimental). Aircraft put into the R&D or To Show Compliance with Regs category are frequently moved back to standard category once they are brought back into compliance at the end of whatever they were doing experimentally.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    I suspect it's buried in 8130.2G but essentially you make an application and must show the ASI or designee that the aircraft is once again in conformance with it's type certificate.
    What if it doesn't have a TC?

How could that be? Think I read t on the internet

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    What if it doesn't have a TC?
    Then it's not going to happen. As I said it all depends on why it was in the experimental category to begin with. If this was a military UH-1 for real, then you may not get it into the standard category. If it's a Bell 204/205 that's been hacked up for whatever purpose (crop dusting, lifting,etc...) it may be restorable.

Quote Originally Posted by indeaugie View Post
    I have found a lot of info on shifting an aircraft to an experimental status, but nothing about going the other way. We have a Huey that is classified as experimental, and we will need to get her certified. What is the easiest or least painful way of doing this? Is there something on the FAA web site that I missed?
    First you'll need to figure out if the aircraft is eligible for a standard FAA C of A. I presume that is what you are seeking? The experimental certificate may be the best option or it may be the only option.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    I wonder which model Huey it is? I don't believe Bell made any civil versions of the A, B, or C models. (BH-204) The D/H models were made under license in half dozen countries in military versions. Bell made both civil and military models side by side in the Ft Worth plant.. As Ron says regarding conversion, "They must conform to the type certificate."

I guess you can do it.The tough part comes when you modify the UH-1H/BH-205 to conform with the civil BH-205A1 TC. If you want, you can delete the stand-by generator. You do have to add a second hydraulic control boost system. The tail rotor & gear box has to be changed. Its now on the other side. The biggie is in the internal structure. The two so-called support beams run under the floor from the main gear box mount forward to the nose. You can see the front ends when you look into the chin bubbles. But you know this. They are built up like an airplane wing spar and are just as critical.

The UH-1H BH 205 has beams assembled with aluminum rivets. The civil BH 205A1 beams are made with MONEL rivets. After about 100 or so A1's were delivered, the FAA discovered many with aluminum rivets. Could have been the whole run, who really knows. Ma Bell was fined a buck per rivet. There is approximately a jillion rivets in question per airframe. These are hard to get to after the skins are installed.

BTW, if its an F model, consider donating it to the VFW to display in front of their meeting hall.

Bob