Thread: Audiobook of Airplane Plane Flying Handbook (Free)

Audiobook of Airplane Plane Flying Handbook (Free)

Several volunteers are reading "Airplane Flying Handbook FAA-H-8083-3A" for Librivox.org While it is in progress, sections may be downloaded from http://ge.tt/8nTwqsg1?c After it is finished you can download from Librivox.org (search for FAA) or from Archive.org (search by handbook name or you will also get lots of other pdf files to sort through.) The first volume, chapters 1-10, has everything for basic single engine training aircraft. Some chapters are broken into several sections on the order of 20-40 minutes each. The first volume is broken into 23 different sections (~8 hours of audio). There are currently (May 2014) about 9 sections (2 hours of audio) in ge.tt and sections will be added every week or two. You can download them as MP3 files and later when volume 1 is finished it will be available in other formats from Librivox.org and Archive.org. (and if you want fiction or the Aviation Instructor's Handbook they are all available as copyright free human read audiobooks.)

The chapters on Emergencies and also Transitions to [Complex, Multiengine, tailwheel, turboprop and jet] will be read as separate volumes after this is complete. Volunteers are always welcome.

Also if you are interested, Aviationaudiobooks.com has the Instrument Flying Handbook and the Helicopter Flying Handbook from the FAA for a fairly reasonable price. (I am not connected with that in anyway, nor have i done more than listen to the samples, but it seemed worth mentioning if listening to the Handbooks during commutes, or cooking or whatever strikes your fancy.)

Hopefully these audiobooks can reinforce your training and prepare you for future lessons.
    Norman

the Librivox.org forums also have links to completed sections, available to listen before the complete audiobook is complete. Search librivox.org for FAA to find completed handbooks and other FAA handbooks being read from www.faa.gov.

Kinda old, but I was looking around the other day for materials for a student. I see the FAA.gov site has 'The Airplane Flying Handbook' as a free download. They have a few other things too, free. Just something kinda handy to put on the IPad for study, at a price most can agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Delene View Post
    Kinda old, but I was looking around the other day for materials for a student. I see the FAA.gov site has 'The Airplane Flying Handbook' as a free download. They have a few other things too, free. Just something kinda handy to put on the IPad for study, at a price most can agree with.
    To go with the Airplane Flying Handbook pdf on the FAA site, it is complete and now available as a human read audiobook on Librivox.org - search for FAA. There have been about 3500 downloads to date. Volunteers are almost finished reading the FAA's Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. The audiobooks are purely to help students with their studies of the pdf from the FAA.gov site. Students can listen on commutes or long trips and go back over the graphics themselves or with their instructor. And like you said, the price is right! - Norm.