Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ultra low temp curing powder coating

Ultra low temp curing powder coating

Does anyone know if there is a powder coat that is commercially available that cures at ultra low temps (less than 212 F). I am looking to powder coat my magnesium Cleveland 40-78B rims and I am very concerned about over temping the magnesium. The rims have to be walnut sand blasted but I don't want to deal with any more corrosion as a new set of rims is $2200 which will ground me for the rest of the year. I am not completely sure if 212 is te magic number either I will have to call Cleveland on Monday.

I could just dip them in the MIL-M-3171 oxsilan as the data sheet calls out but im pretty sure that's what was on there and it peeled off and my rims got quite a bit of corrosion so im not sure that is the answer.
    Last edited by rppearso; 05-31-2014 at 12:15 AM.

If you do not find the answer here, try posting this question to this group......http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/forum.php

Sorry I could not be more help.

Tony

Curious rppearso,
    What is it you are concerned about happening at 212 degrees?

Ken

Certain parts can not be powder coated for at the temps needed to melt the coating this changes the structure of the metal. Most parts I would not powder coat. Get out your copy of 43.13, it talks about this. If you do not have this book, get one.

Tony

I wasn't born yesterday Tony, powder coating of magnesium wheels is done frequently, done right is the key.
    Still curious, what his concern is about 212 deg, must have gotten that odd figure from somewhere, doubtful it's explained in 43.13

Take a look here. I haven't ever tried it but a few guys I know have used Eastwood products to powder coat parts on their show cars.

http://www.eastwood.com/paints/hotco...coat-guns.html

(I know of at least one set of magnesium rims on a Pantera that were powdercoated (multicolor) using Eastwood products)
    Last edited by Mike Switzer; 05-31-2014 at 09:43 AM.

no worries, just do it with any powder you like..

https://www.google.com/#q=melting+point+magnesium

Slightly off track, but I am going to put PlastiDip-Spray on my wheels. I was looking at it on one of the car car tv shows. Sprays on, peels off if you later change you mind. Don't even have to demount or mask the wheel. Just peel off any overspray. lots of colors.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/PlastiDip-Spray-cat/

Powder does not perform as well as liquid for corrosion protection. You will need a good conversion coat, and epoxy primer if you expect it to last. Those two components are doing the bulk of the corrosion protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Chips View Post
    I wasn't born yesterday Tony, powder coating of magnesium wheels is done frequently, done right is the key.
    Still curious, what his concern is about 212 deg, must have gotten that odd figure from somewhere, doubtful it's explained in 43.13
    My comment was not just to you. But its good to know you believe this.

My comment was for the dude or dudette who does not know this. We do have those who read these post and take this stuff to heart. They might miss the magnesium part and believe they can powder coat all parts. I met one such person and this is why I stated what I did.

Tony