Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost satellite view of KOSH

Lost satellite view of KOSH

Google has changed the view of KOSH satellite map. Was during AirVenture. Bummer !

Yep, I noticed it yesterday. Bummed me out too, as I could see my tent in the campground and reminisce.

I just tried it and the view taken during the 2011 convention is still there. Are you looking at the right airport? (that was a joke.)

Perhaps it's something browser-specific? I'm using Safari 7.0.3 under OSX.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

The one on the maps.google.com is the Airventure one. Perhaps he's looking at Google Earth.

Actually both are correct. At a scale greater than 200', you see the older Airventure photo. Less than 200' you see a current photo. It's been that way for awhile.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

actually the night I posted the lost AV view I was all over the scale right down to the Scholler parking spots. But the next day I was able to go back and find it as it was. I wonder if there was an automatic update and was "reset" to the AV site. Anyway - not bummed anymore but a bit irritated that I looked the fool. Honestly it was not there when I looked.....

Oh Good grief..... now I am going nuts...... high level views are of AV with a big jump as you zoom in low.......to no AV.

Hi Jim,

You may be going nuts, but you're not seeing things.

Just now I didn't see AV at any zoom level in Google Maps. Then I noticed an option to switch to "classic Google Maps." Apparently I was viewing "new Google Maps." I switched to "classic" and now I'm seeing exactly what you're describing. It switches views as you zoom in, from AV to another view.

The AV imagery shows a date of July 25, 2011, which would be right. The new view might be more current, but I can't get Google Maps to show me the date. Looks like The Oshkosh Corporation is using most of the expanses of concrete as a parking lot.
    Last edited by MEdwards; 05-20-2014 at 06:12 PM.

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    " I switched to "classic" and now I'm seeing exactly what you're describing. It switches views as you zoom in, from AV to another view.
    In order to use full zoom of AirVenture.
    You have to switch to "classic Google maps"
    To get there, click on the ? mark on the lower right hand corner.
    Click on return to classic Google maps, then click on return to old Google maps
    To use full zoom click on Traffic on the upper right hand corner,
    Zoom in until 45 Degrees shows, then uncheck it, Wa La, All of AirVenture in full zoom.
    To get full screen click on the little triangle on the upper left hand corner of picture next to the chained links icon.
    Last edited by Wrongway Feldman; 05-28-2014 at 01:53 PM.

By the way, the "new" view only seems to be an issue on Windows and its browsers. I get nothing but the AV view on my iPad in either Google Maps using the Chrome browser or on Google Earth.