Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new to aviation and need some advice on purchase

1. Why are you looking at light sport? Is it a medical issue? If not, then I would just get a full blown private ticket and if you want, you can let the medical expire and exercise light sport privileges. Talking to people around here, the real world times between the light sport and private ratings are not that different and private has some advantages (plane, altitude, speed..etc).

2. A better quality plane is more important than the type of plane. For example, I'd rather have a very good condition "B" than a marginal "A". So while the "A" may be the better type of plane, the better condition of the 'lesser' plane would make it the better buy. So a prebuy is imperative and DON'T get in a hurry. (more on this later).

3. Don't discount some other type of planes. My first plane was a Quad City Challenger II Clipped wing special. It was a great plane and if it was not for the two stroke engine and the desire to fly acro, I would of kept it. I bought it for less than 10K, had the engine rebuilt for 1400, bought a new prop and some other stuff and still broke even when I sold it a year later and 113 hours later.

OK, the two stroke.... I only had the plane 113 hours. I had one engine issue that was my fault and one that I never figured out what the heck happened. None of them resulted in an engine out for me, but in the year I owned my two stroke I personally knew three guys that flew with me - Two had engine outs, one had two engine outs. It may be easy to say these guys just don't know two strokes, but one has been flying two strokes for 20 years and was on the EAA's Ultralight Council and the other has been flying two strokes about as long. Compare that to people I know that fly 4 strokes and I have known lots of people over 20 years and three of them have had engine issues and none of them caused a crash (blown jugs). If you have a very good grasp of 2 strokes AND a good support base, they can be fine and I LOVED the way the Challenger flew. In the end, I never trusted the two stroke and since I wanted to do acro, I sold the plane and bought a 7ECA.

Now about not rushing.... The desire to buy something is strong. BUT, you don't have to buy to start learning to fly. I'd start learning to fly now and this will help take some of the pressure off wanting to buy RIGHT NOW. This has an added benefit of not only removing the rush to scratch the 'itch', but will also give you experience. This experience gained will give you a better idea of what you want.

The benefit to renting when you start is it lets you fly several different types of planes. Maybe you will like to open cockpit feeling, maybe you will hate it.... You don't know which it will be until you try it. Maybe you want a taildragger, maybe you hate them... You don't know till you try them both. The type of plane you buy is all on what you want to do with it. I like acro, so a non-acro plane is not an option. My buddy just likes to put around, so his favorite plane is his J3. Another buddy thinks that a plane is worthless unless you can fly it 1000 miles IFR so he wants a Bonanza over any of the preceding planes.

I'd suggest you start taking flight lessons now and try to fly different types of planes.

A few other points..... Hand propping. I don't mind it when I have a buddy, I don't like it by myself. Opinions will vary. As others have pointed out... Buying a plane is not a forever deal. I have been an aircraft owner for a little over three years and have owned three planes (maybe I should of taken my own advice???).
    Last edited by ssmdive; 05-22-2014 at 09:40 AM.

Arizona, Alaska, and various other places around the globe
    Micheal,

I have owned several airplanes and have flown thousands of hours in numerous types of aircraft, and I would like to suggest that you consider the ubiquitous Cessna 172. When one factors
    in acquisition costs, insurance, maintenance, ADs/SBs/TBs/etc., parts availability/cost/etc., annual inspections, modifications available, resale, aircraft capability, etc., the 172 is definitely a good choice for a first time buyer/low time pilot.

I prefer high wings as they allow a better view of the countryside below and one can sit or stand under the wings to get out of the sun and rain, and they make better off airport planes (e.g. if landing on unimproved strips, the wings are higher off the ground and don't get as readily dinged up from rocks and such and they are up above small bushes/jack pines/weeds/etc.)

That being said, you might seriously consider just renting for awhile until you have some experience under both of your belts and have flown a few different types of planes.

If you rent, (if you don't have one already) consider getting your own insurance policy that protects you and that also covers the renter's deductible and loss of use as many places which rent airplanes have a fairly high deductible and some might sue for loss of revenue while the airplane is being repaired should it get damaged.

Tom
    Last edited by Max Torque; 05-23-2014 at 04:21 AM.
    "You have to be alive to spend it..."

Lots of good advice on here.

You might also want to consider a flying club. I believe it is a great way to get your toes wet in aviation - it allows you the time to learn all about aviation & aircraft ownership while giving guidance from others who will, hopefully, help you avoid any of the potential pitfalls. It also helps reduce the costs involved in both ownership & learning to fly, and helps with the social side of flying. What's the famous Paul saying? Aeroplanes brought me here, but it's the people who keep me coming back, or words to that effect. Hang around an airport for a short time & you'll find how very true that is.

Club ownership will broaden your circle of aviation friends, & broaden your aviation knowledge far more effectively & easily than owning your own plane would, along with joining your local EAA chapter, of course

AOPA has a great article on the benefits of flying clubs this week.

Buying your own plane to learn to fly in has it's advantages, no doubt about that, but it's not always the absolutely best way to go, especially if there are alternative options available to you.

If you are set on buying, I'm with the others - go for something very well known & proven as a trainer - C150/2, Champ, Cub, Luscombe, Ercoupe, Cherokee. As your first plane, I'd avoid one that has to be hand-propped if possible. It's not impossible (obviously as that's how folks used to learn!), but it can be intimidating & if there is an easier alternative, worth looking into. Especially take into account your daughter's age & strength. I know I could not easily have hand propped a plane when I was 16 or 17, although I was probably the fittest I've ever been.
    Last edited by Janet Davidson; 05-23-2014 at 05:15 AM.

wow, thanks for all the great advice on here! you guys have great suggestions, i really appreciate it. we will see where we go from here. thank you all very much.
    micheal