Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A 7-9" Android tablet inquiry.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Chips View Post
    When called, Apple on the iPad Mini and also Samsung (and others), both said that their GPS required WiFi or internet access for the GPS to work.
    Can't speak for Android or Samsung, but the Apple people may not be making (or may not understand) the distinction between the GPS receiver hardware, and the display software. The GPS receiver supplies position data to whatever display software wants it, for whatever reason. Apple reps may be referring to their own in-house Apple Maps app, which does require cell or WiFi connection in order to display a GPS position. But there are hundreds of other programs (apps) for displaying GPS positions in lots of different ways available in the Apple Store for installation on iPads and iPhones. Some, like iFly GPS, WingX Pro, ForeFlight, and CoPilot for car navigation do not, repeat, do not, require cell or WiFi contact to function in your plane or car. Same for Android, but I've never used them. The Apple people may be directed to address Apple products only and not acknowledge the existence of the rest, even though they sell them. Hard to believe, but possible. Or you may be talking to somebody half a world away who's just reading a script and has no idea what it means.

If you are set on an Android unit, Cdrmuetzel's Avare sounds like a great place to start. It's free, so how could you lose? Download, install and use it for a while. Once you learn what's going on with it, then you may choose to consider something more complex, that you would have to pay for, that would give you even more capability including your "turn by turn" directions.
    Last edited by MEdwards; 05-19-2014 at 05:56 PM.

Avare on Nexus 7

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    Avare sounds like a great place to start.
    Avare https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d=com.ds.avare has IFR features (may add geo-ref plates), but I fly it VFR. Because I prefer FAA VFR charts to the Jeppesen on my GNS430 I started using it with my Droid X phone (still works on the latest version of Avare), and I now also have it on the Samsung Galaxy S4 phones my wife and I use.

A few months after it came out I bought a 1st generation Nexus 7 with 27GB total memory. It currently has Avare with WAC charts for most of the U.S., Sectionals and TACs for Western U.S., terrain, both text and PDF A/FDs for Southwest, and assorted other FAA materials. I've also installed OSMAnd (free OpenStreetMaps app with voice & turn directions) with several maps; some photos and videos; plus Firefox and an assortment of 30 other apps. It still has 23.11GB of memory available.

With this setup, I've flown across the U.S. and Canada several times (also once to the Bahamas) using only the built-in GPS with the Nexus 7 (aka N7) mounted to the yoke of my C-172Q. It long ago became my primary navigation device, with Avare on the phones, plus an old Lowrance handheld and the 430 as backups. I generally use it with the screen at full brightness, using Avare's "always on" setting, with WiFi off and the GPS on of course (but not using Avare's "Short GPS Update Period" setting - not needed on any devices among those I've tested). I find that plugged into a high-capacity charger the N7 gradually discharges, but so far even on one 6 hour leg we flew it still had some charge at the end of the flight. If you turn Avare off and sleep the N7 it recharges quickly so a fuel, food, stretch or restroom break would let me fly with it always on far longer than I'd ever want to. Without plugging it in, you'd probably get 2-3 hours with it always on and full brightness.

you may choose to consider something more complex
    In the friendly and helpful Avare Forum https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/apps4av-forum users ranging from airline and helicopter pilots to PPL VFR folks like me report using and enjoying Avare on a very broad spectrum of Android devices. Even on whatever that Amazon tablet is called, though you have to use the "Manual Installation" process described on the Avare website. The Forum linked above would be a great place to pose the original question, to find out if there's a consensus on which tablet is best and/or most affordable. Since technology is improving so quickly, my suggestion is to find the cheapest device that will do what you want. An advantage of any Nexus device is that it can always run the latest version of Android, whereas other devices don't always have updates available soon or even at all.

Disclaimer: I occasionally donate my time as one of the Avare volunteers and am friends with the original developer, though I get no benefit other than enjoying the ongoing improvements to the app and helping the aviation community.

Good luck, and Happy Flying!

I have Avare on my tablet (a 7" Lenovo A207) as well as on my phone. I have yet to use it in flight but expect to soon (I used a Garmin handheld GPS with airports and airspace hacked in in my old plane). I played with it on a commercial flight and it looked good. I'll recommend that tablet, BTW... unlike many others, the Lenovo has a minimum of preinstalled software to clutter things up, though user documentation is sparse so it's best if you're reasonably computer literate.

I use both a first gen Nexus 7 and my phone, an LG G-Flex. Both work well, and NEITHER requires a WiFi or other data connection for the GPS to function. There are several things which confuse people about this: First, when using Google Maps they constantly ask you to turn on WiFi, but that's because they use WiFi mappings to feed you additional information (ie: Advertising!) as you drive around. Second, Apple iPads which are WiFi only do NOT have GPS built into them, but they can approximate your position using nearby WiFi when available. This is why external GPS receivers for Apple products are so prevalent. Someone asked about the Kindle Fire HD, and my wife has one of those. It's a nice tablet but it has NO GPS at all and so doesn't make a good navigator. Both the Nexus 7 and the G-Flex have excellent GPS receives and I've never run into lost reception problems with either. Additionally, the G-Flex has a unique curved OLED display which cuts glare and reflections considerably compared to the Nexus.

For software, like many others I've been using Avaire, which for the price (free) is tough to beat. It's been receiving continuous improvements over the past few years and has evolved into a nice, usable program. I use AOPA's Fly-Q free edition for airport information and basic weather just because I like the presentation, but Avaire's airport info is usable in a pinch too. I've played with Navzilla too, which is a little more primitive, but in some cases is easier to read than the scanned charts in Avaire. The app Aviation Tools Free is similar to Fly-Q but has a cool widget which can put real time Metars and TAFs on your phones homescreen.

For driving navigation, I like Waze. It's interactive with other's using the program and can tell you in real time the actual speed of cars on the road ahead of you, and the location of accidents and speed traps, etc. Waze, like Google Navigation, requires an internet connection to update routing, etc. If I'm out of coverage areas the NavFreeUSA app works completely independently with no internet connections required and does a reasonable job.

This has sure been a very helpful thread for me, thanks to all that took the time to share, it's all been relevant.

Haven't ordered as yet but thinking the Samsung 8.4 pro, my vision is a bit on the damaged side and think the larger screen and it's pixels per inch being one of the highest of current production could be helpful.

Thanks again, seriously, it has answered my questions on the GPS where none was found prior.

Having reviewed most tablet (Android and Win8) moving map software programs (not an apple user for many reasons). Anywhere Map (registered) , Voyager GlassView on a Dell Win8 tablet (Lifetime user), Naviator (registered), SkyMap, FlightPro, I-Fly, AOPA Fly-Q, and few others. The best for the money (FREE) is hands down is AVARE! AVARE needs rubber-banding which is in the works. Yes, there are some features missing that others have, but the dynamic rings are a big plus. You can move (touch) your position anywhere on the screen and it stays there with the map moving. Outstanding program all for the nice price of FREE! http://avgps.wordpress.com/avare-overview/
    I will however register I-Fly GPS once they produce a Win8 app (for my Dell Venue Pro8 tablet)
    www.JoesPiper.com
    Currently use Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 for VFR and 32GB microdisk
    Last edited by JoesPiper; 05-25-2014 at 01:51 PM.

Joe,
    Thanks for the info, absolutely no reason not to try Avare.

Ken

Count me as another vote for Avare. Used it this weekend on my Nexus and was really impressed.

I have the Samsung Tab2 10.1 model GT-P5110 . It has a built-in gps receiver (so no wifi connection necessary) It gets a strong gps signal in a couple of minutes.
    It has the brightest screen of all according to the reviewers, but needs a non-reflective film. Cost here in France under €300.
    I have bought AirNavPro with EU maps (one payment of about £35) and haven't seen anything better yet.
    Completely satisfied!