Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A 7-9" Android tablet inquiry.

A 7-9" Android tablet inquiry.

If I told you the number of hours I've spent looking and calling for the perfect Android tablet for use in flying you wouldn't believe me. (Edit: so much that I've more confusion then when first started looking, inquires just created more questions and less answers)
    Less then the perfect tablet is acceptable .
    I like the Samsung 8.4 Pro but WiFi and Cellular together are not available and the GPS is not stand alone but requires a WiFi/Internet connection. WiFi is just not that wide spread that I've found on the ground, is it more available at altitude but below say 1000 ft agl?
    The geek in me also likes bells, whistles, buttons and lots of sensors for available apps to exploit.
    The iPad Mini seems popular, though not a fan of proprietary.

What are you using?

Ken
    Last edited by Blue Chips; 05-17-2014 at 08:40 AM.

A 2013 Nexus 7 with 32 GB (WiFi only) and the Garmin Pilot app. Currently selling for around $150.

Steve,
    Do you have one of these?
    It could be that I am not understanding but that is not a GPS stand alone either, so what happens when you get no WiFi signal? My understanding is no WiFi connection no GPS tracking.

I have Avare on my Nexus 7...you obviously need Wifi to download the charts you want in the app, but not to actually use the GPS.

Matt,
    I understand that a WiFi connection is needed to download the maps but you are saying that once that is done you no longer need any WiFi connection such as say when you have it in Airplane mode which shuts down any signals?

Position tracking is position tracking whether in the air or driving, so you get full featured turn by turn directions even if you have no WiFi connection?

I don't use "airplane mode." I turn off the Wifi and turn the GPS on. Nothing else to it. You've downloaded the maps, and the GPS locates you on them. I don't have an app for "turn by turn directions."

If your Android device has a GPS receiver inside it, it will work just fine without a WiFi or cell connection. You will not get a consistent cell connection while flying, and I doubt you'd ever get a WiFi connection beyond the FBO's ramp. So the program or app you use with your GPS in the plane has to be self-contained. I see IFly has an Android app. Google "IFly GPS" and call them and ask how it works. They'll explain it to you.

I use WingX Pro on an iPad for my aviation GPS moving map program. I think it's great, but they don't have a viable Android version. So IFly might work for you. Or Garmin Pilot as an earlier msg suggested.

I have the Nexus 7 32GB using it for both sailing and aviation. Currently have Naviator loaded but am considering the just released Android version of https://www.iflygps.com/SYSTEMS/iFlyGPSforAndroid.aspx The Nexus is bright enough to be seen in sunlight but watch the reflections on the screen - will drive you nuts - like almost all other screens. An after market screen protector might have a solution for the glare.
    Using bluetooth and high accuracy GPS will grab a bit of power consider how much you keep them both on. I have a folding case for it which I can recommend. It is quite versatile. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 This is not a knee pad.

When called, Apple on the iPad Mini and also Samsung (and others), both said that their GPS required WiFi or internet access for the GPS to work. Logically, what you say almost has to be the way it is else there would be huge complaints but the answers I've received from a number of tablet manufactures has sure made it confusing.

I've tried asking in different ways but always get the same answer, the device does not operate like a stand alone GPS, these were on new models not previous so can't say on those.

Think I'll call them again and talk to some one in the technical department.

Thanks for the replies

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Chips View Post
    I've tried asking in different ways but always get the same answer, the device does not operate like a stand alone GPS, these were on new models not previous so can't say on those.

my samsung galaxy gtp5113 with android version 4.2.2 works avare (and "gps copilot" street mapping app) beautifully as a stand-alone using the built-in gps. and the same apps work exactly the same way on my motorola droidX running android version2.3.4. whether those apps work on other android boxes i don't know.

other people tell me you get what you pay for. ok, but i also get vfr and ifr charts with moving map and basic flight planning for no subscription cost. they tell me it's too good to be true, and can't last forever. ok, but it is true and it works for now. no popup ads, no garbage, no credit card number on file, FREE. just a "donate" button on the developer's website to cure a guilty conscience.

your mileage may vary.