Thread: Pointing Laser into Night sky

Pointing Laser into Night sky

I am watching CNN Live as I type this. They are doing some story about something in the night sky, I am just barley paying attention. Anyway this news anchor takes a green laser and starts pointing it up into the sky at stars. He is using it as a pointer trying to point out stars. They are doing a story later on this and I take it he will be using this laser pointing it up into the night sky.
    My question should anyone point any laser into the sky? With what we know about lasers and how they work is this a good idea? Or would you do this?

Tony

Actually, the green lasers are commonly used by astronomy instruction like this. The inadvertent chance an aircraft my transiently pass through the beam is minimal and the exposure to the pilots would be fleeting. It's the dunderheads who TRACK the aircraft and keep it illuminated that are the issue.

Much higher power lasers get shot into the sky (if you're lucky you'll get a NOTAM).

What good does it do pointing a laser in the sky...???

If a laser could immediately illuminate a star I'm going to have to rethink a few things I've learned about astronomy.

It doesn't but there's usually enough crap in the atmosphere to be illuminated by a sufficiently bright one which gives the indication as to which star he's point to.