Quote Originally Posted by TBailey View Post
I do understand that they have elected to hold off on the testing for apnea, but I'm concerned that since I had tested ten years ago and know that I have apneas that I might not be able to get my medical back. I have now learned about the Sport Pilots license and also learned that if I have never failed a medical I can downgrade and use a drivers license in lieu of the medical. But IF you fail a medical you cannot downgrade to the SPL, you are just grounded, I am not quite sure what to do. It seems like a crap shoot at getting my 3rd class medical and I am tempted to just downgrade now since as of TODAY, I've never failed a medical. Could some of you guys share your knowledge on this, please? Thanks!
I would go in and see my AME without applying for an FAA medical and see if there is going to be any issues. Then you'll know. You can probably find an AME on the internet that can advise you how to proceed regarding sleep apnea. I don't think getting an medical would be an issue but you can gather some other opinions and make your decision.