Thread: Replica Plans SE-5A given to me for free

Replica Plans SE-5A given to me for free

Hi all,
    I was recently given a Replica Plans SE-5A that has the fuse, horizontal, both elevator halves, vertical and a couple wing ribs built. Nothing has been covered though. There are other parts that have been cut out and some shaped but nothing glued together for those pieces. This did not have any plans or paper work of any kind with it. Is it still possible to finish the build on this airplane? I live in Oshkosh and work at Basler Turbo Conversions as an A&P. I do have quite a bit of knowledge about aircraft structures mostly aluminum but some experience with wood. I know that a DAR wood have to look at the existing structure that was previously built and sign it off before I could commence with my part of the build. However seeing that there is no paper work what so ever is it possible to get this accomplished? Any help and info you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Mark

Is it full-size? Scaled replica of full size? Ultralight like?

If it's a kit or plans built, post a picture and someone can probably identify it, then you can figure out if plans are available or not.

Also, you can commence building whenever you are ready without any kind of inspection or sign off from a DAR. Get a copy of AC 20-27G which will guide you through the FAR part of the building process. I don't see any reason why you can not compete the project.

It is 7/8 scale built of wood and fabric. the person that I am getting it from posted a picture on some forums a couple years ago and was told it was Replica Plans SE-5A. I have been looking for some plans on other forums but the plans usually have a SN don,t they? That SN would indicate the SN of the aircraft for registration wouldn't it? I have a couple people that may sell their plans otherwise I just found the phone number to the vendor that supposedly sells these plans. I am going to try and contact them tomorrow. I contacted the Light Aircraft Association in the UK looking for plans and the seemed really concerned about not having any paper work with it and made it sound like I may not be able to finish this because of that. Maybe things are a little different here I don't know as I am new to this home building thing. What are your thoughts on this. Thanks.
    Mark

Replica Plans for the SE-5A should be available one way or the other so no reason why you can't obtain a set and finish the plane. The serial number is not a big deal, you can make up your own which is what a lot of people do anyway.

Don't worry about UK rules, this will be a US homebuilt and I don't see how lack of documentation will prevent the project from being finished. It's a homebuilt, constructed by a person or persons for recreation and/or education. That is in full compliance with the intent and meaning of the regs. The advisory circular I mentioned has a checklist which you can use to assign credit for fabrication and assembly. Download a copy and look it over.

The LAA in the UK gave me info on the vendor that they had on file for selling the plans. So I called that phone number last night and got an old ladies voice on the answering machine. I left a message so hopefully she will call back and I can get plans from her but I am not holding my breath on this one. I have seen some plan sets on other forums but those posts are 2 years old and doesn't look like there has been much action on them. I sent private messages to a couple of them let's just hope they check the forum sometime soon. Thanks for your input. If you think of anything else send me a reply.
    Mark