Thread: Cessna SID program?

Cessna SID program?

Hi all,

Can anyone fill me in on this new Cessna SID inspection program? I've built two previous experimental airplanes but admittedly know very little about owning a certified airplane. I have just started looking into purchasing a beautiful 1960 Cessna 172A and now I'm reading that the SID inspections are so costly that it would make it nonsensical to purchase any Cessna older than 1986!

Are these inspections a "one-time" deal or are they required at every annual? Is it even mandatory? I've read conflicting statements regarding this online. I know, big surprise there! LOL

Buying an airplane for $25-$28 grand is affordable for me. Buying an airplane and then spending $20,000 to have it inspected is not!

Surely there are owners of older Cessnas on here, right? What have you folks done about these inspections?
    Mark

2003 RANS S-10
    2011 RANS S-6S
    Zenith Cruzer

www.aircraftstickers.com Very cool aircraft stickers. Vans, RANS, Kitfox...more!

In another forum, the kindest comment was

"I see this as a move by Cessna to drive the under maintaned old dogs from the sky but not so unreasonable that it will result in big problems for those who have over the years have taken the time, money and effort to look after their aircraft."

The Cessna docs are not regulatory. They are recommendations by the lawyers. Take care of your airplane. When parts wear out, fix or replace them, don't "hope" they will last another year.

Best of luck,

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by s10sakota View Post
    Are these inspections a "one-time" deal or are they required at every annual? Is it even mandatory?
    No and no. The 100 series SID is a good thing. It should not be a reason not to buy one of these airplanes. From field experience, most of the problems are being found in higher time airframes (>12,000h) and/or planes that have spent much of their life outdoors on tiedowns, exposed to harsh weather elements. So that information might be helpful when shopping......