Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A-65-8 Continental

A-65-8 Continental

I have an A-65-8 that just been overhauled. I'm getting 7 lbs of pressure at idle on left side of engine and no pressure on right side of engine.
    Installed a new accessory case, oil pump gears and cover plate. New spring and plunger for oil pressure relief. I'm get oil to main bearings, camshaft journels, and to cylinders on left side. Get oil to right chamber but not to cylinders on right side and no oil pressure. Dismantled engine checked tolerances on all components, every thing is fine. Anybody out there have any ideas? Not sure where to go next.

Had the same problem years ago on my Luscombe 8A. It had sat for about a year. I squirted oil into every hole I could find to pre-oil it. No dice. Then I recalled some old timers years before my Luscombe dealing with the same problem. I helped them tip it up until the prop was on the ground for about a minute. We then put the tailwheel back on the ground and fired it up. Good to go. I then tried it with my Luscombe and it worked the same. Lots of oil pressure.

I'm not sure what was going on. The oil pump is on the rear acc case and the sump is on the bottom. But it worked for me. Let me know how it turns out. I'm guessing that you don't have a nose wheel to get in the way.

Bob

Thanks for the tip Bob. We tried this. No change.

Big Grin

I would try or consider:

Oil pickup tube - check for pin holes, crush washer torque, plugged tube, etc

Correct part number of bearings, possibly using undersize crank with normal bearings

Here is the KILLER - oil pump gears - the back plate must be flush all the way around. The accessory cases warp
    and I have been able to slide a feeler gauge under one or more sides. If the back plate is flat, use it as a sandpaper
    holder and true up the accessory case. 320 or 400 grit sandpaper followed up by 600 grit will do the trick.
    Be careful how you retorque the gear back plate. The accessory cases are very soft and I usually stop when it
    feels snug. This is the one time I do not follow the manual's torque recommendations.

Pete
    Last edited by weiskopf20@gmail.com; 10-03-2011 at 10:14 AM.

I don't have a specific suggestion, but here is a link to a lot of information on small Continental engines and trouble shooting problems.

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/fenton.htm

We tried this numerous times. Still no results. But think it may have to be done again. All indications lead to oil pump. Just can't understand how I can have oil pressure on one side of engine only.

I've sent Harry an email, still waiting on reply.

Randy Thompson is the resident small Continental guru on the Cessna 120 - 140 Association. He's very helpful and friendly. I'd check with him. Randy Thompson (530) 357-5440

Sorry for asking a dumb question, but how do you know there's no pressure on the left side? As far as I know there's only one oil pressure port and it's below the oil pressure relief valve hole, on the right, rear of the accessory case.

Oil pressure

Quote Originally Posted by yocum137 View Post
    Sorry for asking a dumb question, but how do you know there's no pressure on the left side? As far as I know there's only one oil pressure port and it's below the oil pressure relief valve hole, on the right, rear of the accessory case.
    On the front of the case there are two crankcase plugs. Remove plug, install pressure gauge, start engine, and there you go. Just make sure you oil line does not interfere with propeller track. I ran my oil line back to firewall and tied gauge to motor mount so I could read it while standing behind
    wing strut.