Thread: New Guy! Airdrome Aeroplane-Fokker DR-I and Other Questions

Goggles New Guy! Airdrome Aeroplane-Fokker DR-I and Other Questions

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting in this forum. Let me introduce myself first. My name is James, I'm 28, and I have had a lifelong fascination with airplanes and always wanted to be able to fly a plane. After finding Mr. Baslee's website a few months ago, I have had one vision in mind-build a WWI bi-plane (or tri-plane) and learn to fly it. I also saw another member's Sopwith Tabloid where they were flying while the sun was setting. It was a very inspiring photo.

One of the first things that struck me right off the bat was the value of the Airdrome Aeroplane kits. It seems like it is a complete set for a very modest price. I have been looking at used cars that cost around the same as an airplane! Needless to say, I have decided that I would like to buy one of these kit planes to build and to fly.

My goal is to possibly find a piece of land around where I live that I could level, convert into a landing strip and have my own personal hangar. However, I have absolutely zero idea if this is usually a "legal" thing to do. Given that these are fully functioning aircraft, what is the law regarding having a personal airfield made from either a flat field or having a small paved runway suitable for taking off and landing? Does anyone own their own landing strip and hangar on their own (non-airport) land?

I am semi-handy with tools and am good at working with my hands, so I feel like this would not be beyond my skill level as long as I were to have good directions to follow and take my time. I also noticed on AA (Airdrome Aeroplanes), that they have a "workshop" of sorts where you can get a jump start on the construction of your plane. What is the average cost of that workshop, if you know? I was inspired when I saw basic tools being used to build the planes on this forum and AA.

What is the operational cost of one of their airplanes? I am specifically looking at the DR-I as it is the only full scale Central Powers plane offered. I was hoping the D-VII was a full scale replica, but it isn't unfortunately. What kind of pilots license does one have to have in order to operate one of these planes legally? How much does said license usually cost? Is there anyone who manufactures an Albatross kit plane?

Basically, what would someone who has never flown, nor built a plane be faced with when considering the desire to build, own and fly their own WWI replica plane? Does Airdrome offer other planes that they just don't have on their website? I have seen a Sopwith Tabloid that I really liked, but can't find it on their website. What would people who have built one (or two, or three!) of these kinds of planes recommend kit-wise? It looks so cool.

Thank you for reading.
    James
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A few answers:

1) The Builder's Assist was $750 a day three years ago when I took advantage of it. That may seem like a lot of money, but it's really dirt cheap. One gets hands-on training in every aspect of building a tube-and-gusset aircraft, from the basics of drilling a hole in tubing to riveting (and removing them) to annealing and techniques for bending, cutting, and deburring aluminum quickly and safely. It's like having a continuous skills workshop that lasts all day. How much one does is largely on the builder - Robert and Jim help with and keep the work moving at the builder's pace. They assist, they don't do the work for you. In four days I had fuselage done and on gear and the tailfeathers done....which would have taken me a year on my own trying to figure stuff out. It also saves money in that there's a whole lot less "do overs." Plus one is working on their own plane, so you take home all the products of your labor.

In WWI circles the builder's assist is referred to as the House of Pain. You will be sore after the first day!

2) Mr. Baslee lives in super-rural Missouri without broadband and a lot more interested in building airplanes than updating his website. This is a good thing as he hasn't changed prices for at least three years! Unfortunately, it doesn't get updated for new models of aircraft. Sometimes he builds the plane by request and then decides to make a kit for it if enough people ask about it. That's how the Nieuport 17 (he built four for the Flyboys movie) and now the SE5a (again, built for a movie company) became kits. Scaling down to make a Nieuport11 was easy enough (note it's on the order sheet but not on the main page of aircraft lists). The Tabloid/Baby was a specific request by a customer. If one wanted an Albatrossreplica, Robert would work up a plan and material list and make a quote - and then probably turn it into a kit. Call him and ask - he answers the phone himself and if there is any way to make the time to talk he's very friendly and professional.

3) Operational costs once it's built aren't much. These are usually powered by a VW bug motor with either a direct drive prop or a redrive unit. Rule of thumb - take half the cost of the kit and that's pretty close to the cost of the engine. Oil, automotive gas, silk scarves and goggles aren't that expensive.

4) I think every one of his kits qualify as LSA, which means you can get by with Sport Pilot license. Since this was my goal - build a WWI replica - that's the route I took. My SP license ran me about $5800 or so, soup to peanuts, but one needs to get as many hours as possible flying a Champ or Cub before flying one of these. The Champ is best, as Mr. Baslee uses it as his model for handling, and everyone I've talked to that pilots these things say a Champ is a good yardstick. If one can fly a Champ decently there won't be too much problem flying one of his creations.

5) Go directly to http://www.kcdawnpatrol.org/index.php and order Dick Stark's book, You Want To Build And Fly A What? as he details just what you and I are bent on doing. Getting a pilot's license (though he's a PPL), building a Nieuport 11, and all the pitfalls and joys written in a straightforward and humorous way.

[edit]

Understand that these planes are slow, single occupant, open cockpit, and very much Pretty Day aircraft. No room for luggage, and strictly fair weather aircraft. For a guy like me that wants to fly low and slow and look at cows and water on the river for a couple of hours they're ideal.
    Last edited by Frank Giger; 05-10-2014 at 01:20 AM.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Welcome James, have you seen this post on building a WWI biplane? It should give you a basic idea on some of the trials and tribulations of homebuilding.
    http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?...-a-Nieuport-11

I think there are web sites on creating your own landing strips, you just have to find them on the web. You may find some information here on the Super Cub site, these guys are into that, you just have to search for it.
    http://www.supercub.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post

-SNIP-

Understand that these planes are slow, single occupant, open cockpit, and very much Pretty Day aircraft. No room for luggage, and strictly fair weather aircraft. For a guy like me that wants to fly low and slow and look at cows and water on the river for a couple of hours they're ideal.
    Hi Franks and Champ, thank you for taking the time to reply to me, I appreciate the link (started reading that thread before I joined and after reading through some of it I decided this is the place for me!).

I completely understand that these are not fast planes. I am restoring a 1931 Model A, so I understand "going slow" as they top out at about 55mph if you REALLY push it. I looked around and for the most part, the "create your own landing strip" sites are if you live on an island and have a commuter plane, not a hobby and enjoyment plane.

What is the minimum length of runway you would need to safely taxi, take off and land one of these awesome planes? I met a guy at an airshow a few years ago who had a 75% model of one of these, but I forget which model he had. I have been looking at different properties in my area to see what is available and for how much.

I am starting my career and am able to plan ahead and acquire land while it is reasonably priced and then get the plane, hangar and shop after a while. I only need to be able to convince my girlfriend/future wife that it is a good idea! That will be the hard part I think.

Thank you for the replies, I appreciate your advice. Frank-your work on the Nieuport is amazing. I haven't finished your build thread yet, but I plan on using it as a guiding light for whenever I get to that point!

I am off to go buy a silk scarf, goggles and a leather cap!

Here's a thread for a guy that built a grass strip for his WWI aircraft:

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/re...aerodrome.html

It continues here:

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/re...part-deux.html

I don't know the regs, but the rule of thumb seems to be 1500x150 feet as the smallest.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Bit late here, but...

The rules for private airstrips vary depending on where you are. At the federal level, you can pretty much land wherever you want, subject to airspace restrictions and proximity to other airports. Most states have some rules on airports, and every state is different... from almost anything goes (usually out west) to nearly impossible. Many states require an airport license if you exceed a certain number of operations per year (and in some states that number is zero). Then at the local level, zoning codes may affect things and again, they may not say anything about it or they may prohibit it.

I don't know anything about the Airdrome replicas, but the original Dr1 was a real handful and not for an inexperienced pilot, especially on the ground.