Thread: iFly GPS App for Android and iPad

iFly GPS App for Android and iPad

Looks like a good day for Android users. iFly GPS has made their App available to Android users. I have a friend that's been using the iFly 720 and I have been hunting for a good Android App, as I'm tired of the overheating on my iPad and the screen not being bright enough. If it is as easy to use as the 720, it should be a great app. I just don't fly enough to justify buying a GPS.

Android tablets are more affordable and offer so many more options and they have brighter screens like the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HDX. They also don't seem to have the overheating issues. Apple makes great quality hardware, I just think Android might be the way of the future. Anyways, I digress on that.

I happened to get a google alert on my android phone about this article. Check it out, they seem to like it. Simple Installation, ADS-B compatible with lots of receivers and devices and even has a simulator with controls. Now that is hanger flying.

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/prod...1#.U2o8l16sb1o

I'm interested to see how the RealView works as a taxi diagram as my small airport doesn't have a Airport Diagram, but there are a couple parallels and several cutoffs. Should be a nice add as I typically land at smaller private airports, this way I can see what it looks like from the air before I get there to help spot it.

Thought I'd pass it on to other members.

Thanks,

fly4sw

Question - If my track is south, or towards the bottom of a paper sectional, and I tell the software I want to see track up, does it display all of the text on the chart so that I can read it right-side up, or do I have to read upside down?

Thanks!

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    Question - If my track is south, or towards the bottom of a paper sectional, and I tell the software I want to see track up, does it display all of the text on the chart so that I can read it right-side up, or do I have to read upside down?

Thanks!

Wes
    Wes, I've downloaded iFly GPS now and had some time with it. If you are on a sectional and use track up while you are flying south... the text will be upside down. I think this happens on all sectional based apps. I think the text is part of the chart image so it has to rotate to. Kinda like taking a picture of your Drivers License and trying to rotate the text without rotating the picture, can't really be done.

Now the iFly GPS app has a pretty cool option, NorthUp/TrackUp button right on the screen to toggle to read the chart. I also like the Vector Mode, with is a clean basemap, the text stays readable on this mode. I think I'll be using Vector Mode a lot, less clutter and gives me what I need. If I need more, I'll toggle to Sectional Mode. I like what they have done here. Just plane simple navigation, and it's easy on my bad eye. I can make the text really big which help in bright conditions.

Thanks,
    fly4sw

Quote Originally Posted by fly4sw View Post
    If you are on a sectional and use track up while you are flying south... the text will be upside down. I think this happens on all sectional based apps.
    In WingX Pro the sectional graphics including embedded text rotate with Track Up, but WingX superimposes airport codes (like KLRU), VOR codes (like DMN) and waypoints and intersection names (like DUCKX) over the item on top of the sectional. That superimposed text remains upright in Track Up. The superimposed text also acts as a link to get info about the item (like airport info) or to allow you to touch and then insert into a flight plan.

Thanks for the info. Having the button on screen to toggle helps.

The Jeppesen rep at Sun-N-Fun demonstrated their app where all of the text rotates with the view you select. Pretty impressive. But they only run on iPad, not Android.

It is a very competitive market at this point. Lots of options.

Thanks,

Wes
    N78PS

The iPad and Android versions of the iFly GPS app are much more responsive than the dedicated hardware version as well. I don't know if it has to do with the hardware itself or the OS (WinCE, I think, on the dedicated hardware). I really like using iFly on my tablet (iPad) and my phone (Android).

~Chris
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

The funny thing is that I was griping about the price of aviation GPS units and mentioned that the iFly is really the one I want....and wished they had an app so I could buy a small tablet to run on it (I like sectionals!).

And then tada!
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I've heard great things about their customer service and openness to feedback. I flew this past weekend and used the iFly GPS App on my iPad and a Android Phone. Very cool having that same features and no learning curve, it was very simple to see. Their large buttons and text is great. It will also save me another subscription as I'm letting my ForeFlight subscription expire to move solely to iFly GPS.

I like that iFly GPS supports both Android and iPad, as well as working with many of the ADS-B devices. I personally "don't like being told what model I must use", ForeFlight does this and I'm not a fan of that tactic. I want the choice and will support those companies the allow me to choose the device that fits my need and budget. I guess we will all need to get onboard the ADS-B wagon soon. At least I know I'll have options with them.

Mike,

Although I've had very few questions with my IFLY 700 and fly strictly VFR, my experience with customer support has been excellent. Someone always seems to be available to answer the phone and they also have a "owners only" thread on their forum. I only worry that ( for one reason or another) they could go out of business and leave us hanging with no support. That happened to me years ago when I installed a complete ($$$$) radio package and transponder from Terra.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!