Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airshow Pilot Lost

This was at a military field and I am sure they had strong fire fighting equiptment. But there normal operation in case of an accident would not have to take into account the crowd.

We should have known and should now know that the fire truck and maybe ambulance should be on the runway side of the crowd.
    I am not sure if the accident was surviviable of not. It is easy to make guesses instead of evidence.
    If you put a fire truck or a lifting crane too close to the runway then it becomes an obstacle also.

I know at Airventure the fire and rescue guys are in their suits and in front of the crowd right by the warbird tower and ready to go. That is a big deal when it is 95* outside. Maybe some day it might make the difference in getting to an accident in time.
    People fly in airshows because they really want to do it, and if you can make a living from it, all the better. But I think, although any rational person would have to admit that the possibility or even probability of a crash is always there, I think you put it out of your mind. In the end you do what you really want to do, same as a race car driver, etc. If your emotions focused primarily on crashing and the rescue prospects you probably wouldn't fly the act, especially a low one like Eddie's.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 05-10-2014 at 11:09 AM.

Bill, when you see the video you will probably agree it was a survivable event. He slides in on the top wing and the engine is still running even after it comes to a stop. The wing did not crush the canopy, however it was resting on it and swings over to open it so he was trapped inside. It would have taken a crash axe to get him out. The fire did start and spread very quickly but there was enough time to get some foam on it is the fire guys had been able to move right away. A tragedy any way you look at it. Don

Don, I haven't seen the video. Maybe I should, but right now I just don't feel like it. Feb of last year we sat with Eddie at the dinner table and he was very much alive and full of good humor. He wasn't a close friend, but he might have well become one. We talked about my taking some flying lessons from him and left it at calling him when the time was right.
    We have a mutual friend who is a great pilot and an airshow pilot and I worry about him.

How long did the fire burn once the truck got there? How much of the plane was left after the fire?

I have seen one fatal Stearman accident in person and both people were lost. The impact may have done it but the fire after made it certain. I wonder if it would do any good to put more fireproof fuel lines on and maybe that cell stuff inside the fuel tank that some race cars use?
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 05-11-2014 at 07:34 AM.

He made a very smooth landing on the grass and as he slid to a stop the top wing bent back just enough to touch the top of the canopy. That canopy opens to the side so the wing kept it from opening. Engine and smoke system were running for a few seconds after it stopped then either ran out of fuel or Eddie shut it down. No one rushed in to help and it was several seconds until the fire ignited. The airplane was completely engulfed in flame and I understand it took over 6 min for the crash trucks to arrive. It was all gone by then. Eddie was a great guy and was well liked by everyone. Don