Thread: Maule Tailwheel

Maule Tailwheel

I have a replacement hard Maule tailwheel. There is a rubber molding line down the center of the rubber tire, protruding about 1/16" or more. Is this smoothed with a fine emery cloth even with the surrounding tire? There are also small bumps on one side of the tire also from the moulding process. I am less concerned about the bumps on the side than I am about the ridge on the tire.

Last edited by Clarke Tate; 05-03-2014 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Removed duplicate attached photos

Quote Originally Posted by Clarke Tate View Post
    I have a replacement hard Maule tailwheel. There is a rubber molding line down the center of the rubber tire, protruding about 1/16" or more. Is this smoothed with a fine emery cloth even with the surrounding tire?
    I wouldn't do anything. The line will be gone after one takeoff, if not sooner.

ditto what martymayes wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    ditto what martymayes wrote.
    Yup....
    Name:  tailwheel.jpg
Views: 1383
Size:  94.8 KB

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Yup....
    Name:  tailwheel.jpg
Views: 1383
Size:  94.8 KB

Ron Wanttaja
    lol, been a long time (too long) since I had to clean all the grass out of my tailwheel.

Maule Tailwheel

Your tailwheel looks fine Ron, grass and all. My tailwheel was very greasy before cleaning!

All of the tailwheel parts are cleaned up, the new replacement wheel needed is mounted, and I have a question. The lock pin on the steering arm, when the original parts were put back together, allowed a bit of play. I ordered a new lock pin and this eliminated the play to an extent. The difference in the pin length was tangible. The wheel swivels and locks, but the action seems easier than with the original lock pin. Has anyone replaced the lock pin and knows what effect this has on keeping the tailwheel from swiveling too easily. A photo of the original lock pin and new spring only is attached, as well as a photo showing the original Maule lock pin is longer and the new Maule lock pin TW-13 is shorter.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Clarke Tate; 05-18-2014 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarke Tate View Post
    The lock pin on the steering arm, when the original parts were put back together, allowed a bit of play. I ordered a new lock pin and this eliminated the play to an extent. The difference in the pin length was tangible. The wheel swivels and locks, but the action is easier than with the longer original lock pin. Has anyone replaced the lock pin and knows what effect this has on keeping the tailwheel from swiveling too easily.
    Have changed lock pins before but I always tailor the "breakout" force to suit my taste by tweaking the cam plate. I prefer the breakout to be as light as possible which requires smoothing out the kinks in the stamped cam plate.

Thanks Marty. it is good to know tweaking the cam plate is possible.

The "breakout" force when the parts were simply cleaned and lubed seems correct. The old grease was so gunked up and stiff that merely working normally again seemed easier.