Thread: An Englishman abroad...

An Englishman abroad...

I seem to recall reading a few years ago that only a US citizen could own and operate an N reg aircraft in the US. Is this still (or was it ever) the case?

If it can be done, does anyone know how easy it would be to arrange insurance, with no place of residence in the US?
    Last edited by Hal Bryan; 04-30-2014 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Formatting issue
    Jeremy Leasor

Requires the establishment of a trust. Most are run through the NY FSDO.
    Many N Registered aircraft in Europe are handled this way.

Tim

Thank you.
    Last edited by Jeremy Leasor; 05-01-2014 at 12:28 AM. Reason: formatting
    Jeremy Leasor

Jeremy,

You don't have to be a citizen. If you have a green card, you can own an aeroplane. If not, you can own an aeroplane using a Delaware corporation, which is simple to set up. This is how we did it when we first moved here in 2001.

I have never been asked for any citizenship info when I bought and registered any airplane in the past, though I haven't bought one in 15 years. Is this really a law and did it come in after 9-11.
    I do know that when you go to take pilot lessons there is something about foreigners.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 05-02-2014 at 08:35 AM.

Nope Bill, that requirement has been there since way before 9-11. Only US citizens and permanent residents are allowed to register a plane in the US. If the airplane is registered to a corporation or trust, the requirement is that it be controlled by a US entity. I've got a copy of the 8050-1 (registration application) form 1990 here and it asks for the person signing to certify their status. Now what they do to verify that certification, I do not know.

As far as operating, you can get a US certificate either outright (get the proper aeronautical experience and take a checkride) or get one issued on the basis of your foreign license. The one thing that has changed is the DHS scrutiny on those, but it's no big thing in the long run.