Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iFly 720 - Like it? Dislike it? Why? Recommend some other moving map product?

Quote Originally Posted by TBailey View Post
    Hi, I am considering a moving map GPS and the iFly products seem to be very nice and fit into my budget well. Can you folks offer me some thoughts about it before I make the purchase? I really appreciate it! Thanks
    i know nothing about the iFly personally, but a couple of neighbors have them and like them. i use a samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1 screen with android version 4.something in a Mustang II beneath an untinted canopy in Florida sun and like it. i'm using Avare and it replaces all my paper charts. it has a very very very basic flight planner. for automobile use, GPS Copilot also from google's play store. both are no-subscription-cost offerings. last time i checked Avare was not available for iDevices. If you have an android phone, Avare will work there, too, so you can fly it before $ out of pocket. i'm using a hand-me-down android version 2.something DroidX as my backup device for the galaxy. works exactly the same way, same buttonpushes, just smaller screen. someone else on here recommended the nexus 7 with purchased software. i recommend strongly that if you go android, try the free stuff first and see how you like it.

I just updated the charts on my IFLY700....very easy. Never had much of a reason to go to the 720 and I'm cheap. I fly a L16 (military Champ) and run it off a 7 amp battery. I think the power draw is quite low. I also have it hooked to the SKYRADAR but haven't had much use as I tend to stay out of bad weather anyway..but you never know. However the weather does not overlay the sectional screen although airports and situational awareness are still obvious. The 720 does have a better or more sunlight readable screen and as someone above mentioned the support team is great. Should also mention I upgraded from a Garmin Plus Three which is not exactly an aviation GPS so this was quite a step up. I'm quite satisfied. The 520 is another option worth looking at depending on your needs.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    i know nothing about the iFly personally, but a couple of neighbors have them and like them. i use a samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1 screen with android version 4.something in a Mustang II beneath an untinted canopy in Florida sun and like it. i'm using Avare and it replaces all my paper charts. it has a very very very basic flight planner. for automobile use, GPS Copilot also from google's play store. both are no-subscription-cost offerings. last time i checked Avare was not available for iDevices. If you have an android phone, Avare will work there, too, so you can fly it before $ out of pocket. i'm using a hand-me-down android version 2.something DroidX as my backup device for the galaxy. works exactly the same way, same buttonpushes, just smaller screen. someone else on here recommended the nexus 7 with purchased software. i recommend strongly that if you go android, try the free stuff first and see how you like it.
    Hey, I just saw this, new to the EAA. You might check out the iFly GPS App, it's new to Android. I started another post earlier when I saw Plane and Pilot's review on the iFly GPS App this morning. I've been using an iPad Mini for a while with those big apps, but tired of the price, overheating and glare. I downloaded a trial on my grandson's Nexus 7 and like what I see. It's got some very power planning tools and has nice Airspace Alerts and a very cool vertical profile of terrain in front of you. You should give it a try, 30-days for free.

Here is the other post if you want to read more... http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?...droid-and-iPad

I'm definitely moving to Android as there are brighter screens options. Might even pick up a 720, my friend has one and loves it. I've flown with it a few times and it is nice an bright. Better than my iPad Mini. It looks like I can have an iFly 720 and a Nexus 7 tablet on one subscription. Saves me some money to put towards some more avgas.

Thanks,
    fly4sw

Quote Originally Posted by fly4sw View Post
    It looks like I can have an iFly 720 and a Nexus 7 tablet on one subscription.
    You can, but it costs a little bit extra. $20/year additional for up to three devices. Worth it to me :-)

~Chris
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

The only complaint I have with the Ifly700 is sunlight readable. Happens I need to put it on the dash and with a full greenhouse on the L16 there's a lot of 'sunlight'. Not supposed to be a problem with the 720. I still have most of the features of the 720: alerts, terrain, etc. Chris: a friend of mine just bought a four place Bearhawk kit with a 540 (I think) engine. We're located at the Strum airport (3WN9) not that far from you and you might fly over some Saturday morning if you want to socialize and maybe talk to the owner of the kit. Sharp young man and he'll get it done.
    Last edited by Mike Berg; 05-08-2014 at 07:21 AM.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

I'm think I'm going with the 2013 Nexus 7, seems to have a much brighter screen brightness. If that's not bright enough I may just have to spring for the 720.

I looked at Garmin Pilot and would have to pay upwards of that $140, but for $69 I get iFly GPS with GPS taxi charts and a pretty cool satellite "realview" images that are used as taxi charts for those private fields. The more I use iFly, the more I'm impressed.

I just found out that the iFly GPS app comes with two licenses for $69 and for $20 more I can have three (iPad, Android and a phone), though 20 years of flying, if I need three devices in a plane for myself, I need to look out the window more. Though I might consider the 720 model in place of a tablet or phone.

For those that use ADSB, I came across the ADSB devices that iFly GPS works with. There is a list of about 7 or 8 device, all the big names Dual, iLevil, Navworx, Skyradar, SkyGuardTWX but no Garmin. It even works with ADSB in/out models like the Navworx. I personally don't see why I would want to be limited to just the GLD39 with Garmin Pilot? Just my 2 cents.

See you in the clouds,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by fly4sw View Post
    I'm think I'm going with the 2013 Nexus 7, seems to have a much brighter screen brightness. If that's not bright enough I may just have to spring for the 720.
    O
    I looked at Garmin Pilot and would have to pay upwards of that $140, but for $69 I get iFly GPS with GPS taxi charts and a pretty cool satellite "realview" images that are used as taxi charts for those private fields. The more I use iFly, the more I'm impressed.

I just found out that the iFly GPS app comes with two licenses for $69 and for $20 more I can have three (iPad, Android and a phone), though 20 years of flying, if I need three devices in a plane for myself, I need to look out the window more. Though I might consider the 720 model in place of a tablet or phone.

For those that use ADSB, I came across the ADSB devices that iFly GPS works with. There is a list of about 7 or 8 device, all the big names Dual, iLevil, Navworx, Skyradar, SkyGuardTWX but no Garmin. It even works with ADSB in/out models like the Navworx. I personally don't see why I would want to be limited to just the GLD39 with Garmin Pilot? Just my 2 cents.

See you in the clouds,

Mike
    2 cents? Remember - try the free apps (like Avare) first. If you like them, in 2 years or less you will have saved not just the cost of the subscriptions, you'll have recovered the cost of the nexus and bought $140 to $180 more aircraft fuel.
    Last edited by Mike M; 05-09-2014 at 05:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Berg View Post
    The only complaint I have with the Ifly700 is sunlight readable. Happens I need to put it on the dash and with a full greenhouse on the L16 there's a lot of 'sunlight'. Not supposed to be a problem with the 720. I still have most of the features of the 720: alerts, terrain, etc.
    A common "problem" with the 700s, tablets, and the like, is not as much glare from sunlight, but reflection off of your shirt, believe it or not. If you wear a light colored shirt (like a white t-shirt for example), a lot of times, even though the screen has an anti-glare coating, what you're seeing is lightness of your clothing reflecting off of the screen. Happens with a lot of devices, including tablets. If you wear a darker shirt, the reflection is a lot less pronounced, and visibility appears to be improved. It's a cheap fix :-) Although if you're in a flying aquarium, then it might not be as comfortable in the summer time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Berg View Post
    Chris: a friend of mine just bought a four place Bearhawk kit with a 540 (I think) engine. We're located at the Strum airport (3WN9) not that far from you and you might fly over some Saturday morning if you want to socialize and maybe talk to the owner of the kit. Sharp young man and he'll get it done.
    Thanks for letting me know! I'll have to pop over there one weekend and visit your project! The more Bearhawkers, the merrier. Every bit of motivation helps! I'm scratch building, so it's going to take longer. Having a QB kit around will definitely help to visualize things as I progress.
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

2 cents? Remember - try the free apps (like Avare) first. If you like them, in 2 years or less you will have saved not just the cost of the subscriptions, you'll have recovered the cost of the nexus and bought $140 to $180 more aircraft fuel.
    I've looked at free stuff, including Avare and others and it seems you get what you pay for in the long run. If it's free, how are they going to continue to support you, my luck I'd get used to it for a year or two and then they are gone because no money is coming. Then I'd have to start all over again. iFly GPS looks to be expanding over the years when others like AV8OR, Mywingman and Anywheremap are all but gone.

I'm not opposed to supporting Aviation, after all $69 a year for iFly GPS is a lot less that the $2,000+ Garmin wants for their GPS units.