Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iFly 720 - Like it? Dislike it? Why? Recommend some other moving map product?

iFly 720 - Like it? Dislike it? Why? Recommend some other moving map product?

Hi, I am considering a moving map GPS and the iFly products seem to be very nice and fit into my budget well. Can you folks offer me some thoughts about it before I make the purchase? I really appreciate it! Thanks

I'm a fan. I originally purchased the iFly 700 and upgraded to the 720 because it has a much brighter screen, faster processor, and wifi for doing software and map updates instead of pulling the data card out. I also purchased it with the iFly Streets option, which offers street navigation as well for when you get to your destination. iFly is also using the new all-electronic charts offered by the FAA versus the scanned versions previously used, so the detail and fidelity of the maps are great. iFly also released an iOS/Android version of the software for use with your tablet as well, and it can be treated as an add-on to your iFly account if you like. There are a couple of subscription options that provide VFR and IFR maps/charts, so you pay for what you need.

Now, what it is not is a flight planning application like Foreflight and similar. It's a navigator. So you put in your waypoints, push "go", and fly. It doesn't estimate your time enroute based on winds, doesn't guess how much fuel you're going to use, etc. This is your route line, this is your direction, this is your ground speed, and this is when we expect you to get there based on that. It's a great, affordable navigator.

It is compatible with a few external ADSB receivers, so you can get in-flight weather with it if you are so equipped. It also has digital NMEA outputs for your autopilot if it will accept it.

It also requires ship's power to operate. It does not have an internal battery, so you'll either have to have an aircraft with electrics or purchase an external batter pack to use it.

All in all, I think it's a great device. Highly recommended!

~Chris
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

Chris...thank you very much for taking the time to reply. That is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I have always had a hard time trusting the content in paid ads. I was hoping I could snag someone on the forum that would respond as you have. THanks again!

My pleasure! Best of luck with your purchase. The iFly folks are a pleasure to work with.
    Germantown, WI

Chris in Marshfield,
    Take a look at the small photo that is with your name, do you see anything wrong?

Hint, there was a famous movie some years back that starred Harrison Ford.
    Hint # 2, what do you say just before you start a plane?

It's not a jet? Yeah, sadly the F/A-18 is in the shop, so this is what I had available.
    Last edited by Chris In Marshfield; 04-30-2014 at 04:44 PM.
    Germantown, WI

Just as another option to consider....we bought a first generation Nexus 7 32G specifically to fly with, and loaded the Garmin Pilot app on it. It has none of the limitations that Chris lists for the iFly, plus talks to the GDL39 via bluetooth to display wx and (limited) traffic. $144 currently on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Google-Ne...ywords=nexus+7), or similarly priced other places. Full-cycle updates for maps including SafeTaxi are (from memory) $140 a year.

Another upside to the Nexus is that I've loaded the checklists, performance charts, avionics manuals etc on it. I can switch from Garmin Pilot to the power chart or a checklist with two screen touches, while Garmin Pilot motors along in the background.

Works well for us!

Jim

PS- The Garmin Pilot comes licensed for two devices simultaneously. We have an older 10" tablet we have it on that goes with us also. Approach plates are almost full-sized on it, but it's a bit big for mounting to a yoke (IMHO). I've also run Garmin Pilot successfully on my Android phones. FYI...Nope...no connection to Garmin here...just reporting our experience...your mileage may vary :-)
    Last edited by Jim Rosenow; 05-01-2014 at 06:22 AM. Reason: still thinking :-)

I stopped at the different vendor booths at Sun-N-Fun and I have to say that I am now sold on using an iPad Mini or small Android device live Samsung or Nexus as a flight planner and navigator. For very competitive $$ they are devices that you can use on the road in your car, at home or on the road to check e-mail or surf the web and do other stuff, and with the aviation apps out there, the general purpose hand helds do everything that the aviation dedicated portables do. The Jeppesen guy all but sold me on an iPad Mini. But the Foreflight and other reps are almost equally competitive. The Samsung has a built in GPS so you can get up and running without purchasing another box if you only need position.

The folks at RAM Mounts and some new vendors will sell you whatever bracketry you need to mount your iPad/Android in your airplane or car. Airgizmos will sell you a "panel dock" for your iPad Mini.

Its a brave new world out there.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Thanks guys! I've also been looking at the iPad options as well. Im that's a great perspective. The price on the Nexus is certainly right...

I don't know much about the I-Fly 720, a little about the Ipad options. I get by just fine with a Garmin 696 & XM weather. The GDL-39 is an option too.