Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tugs and Tows Opinion Seeking

Banned

Tugs and Tows Opinion Seeking

We are currently looking to purchase an electric only tug for a 182T with wheel pants as soon as possible. We've looked at the websites of Aero-Tow, AeroKart, Lindbergh, and Dragger. Searching these sites is not sufficent for making a decision so we are also attempting to get some real world opinion and feedback from actual users. So far, from the small amount of feedback received, Aero-Tow and Aerokart are the leading contenders.

I would very much like to get Forum opinions, testimonials and suggestions from users of the above listed types or others. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

We bought a used Tow Buddy, available from Wag Aero. Cheaper than the others you mention, about $1000 new (think that's without battery, though). It moves a 3000 lb airplane up a slight incline and over the hangar door rails easily. Fussy to line up, though. I can't seem to make it turn, have to lift the tug's wheel, rotate the nosewheel like a towbar, and then set the wheel down again to steer. Can do all that without stopping the motor. For the price we're happy with it. They have adapters for all kinds of airplanes.

Mike E

Banned
    I should of titled this "Rub and Tug"...would have had more eyeballs and probably more replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    I should of titled this "Rub and Tug"...would have had more eyeballs and probably more replies.
    Hey, Floats...I know you said electric only, but have you considered a used lawn tractor? We have one I bought for $200 bucks, dropped the deck off, and mounted a connector on the front for our existing tow bar. Pulls the 182 up an incline out of the hangar quite nicely unless it's on glare ice. (Then we use the Jeep :-) Also provides a productive use for the sumped gas.

Jim

I just bought an electric tug from AC AIR Technology for my T-6. A little pricey, but it is an impressive tug. I have a challenging "hanger environment", and so far has met expectations. It is also the only tug I found that is light enough to take with you on your travels. They have a web site at Acairtechnology.com. They also have several videos on You Tube.

Pete

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rosenow View Post
    Hey, Floats...I know you said electric only, but have you considered a used lawn tractor? Jim
    No. We want electric for simplicity, ease of operation, and with certain models better turning capability as well as torque for ice and low level snow. Also, our hangar agreement prohibits the storage of flammable materials that lists fuel amongst others

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TEXANDRIVER View Post
    I just bought an electric tug from AC AIR Technology for my T-6. A little pricey, but it is an impressive tug. I have a challenging "hanger environment", and so far has met expectations. It is also the only tug I found that is light enough to take with you on your travels. They have a web site at Acairtechnology.com. They also have several videos on You Tube.

Pete
    Hey Peter, thanks for providing AC AIR, have not heard of them but will look them up right now. We have found most to be quite pricey but are prepared to pay for the convenience.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TEXANDRIVER View Post
    I just bought an electric tug from AC AIR Technology for my T-6. A little pricey, but it is an impressive tug.Pete
    Hi Pete,

After looking at the website and a number of videos, I can easily see why you are so impressed. Wow, I'm impressed big time. It's quite the machine in terms of construction, operation and performance. There's nothing else on the market that I've seen that compares to it, it is uniquely in it's own category. It's stupid simple to use and I like the safety features as well as the safety benefits it brings to towing and pushing the airplane itself. Which one do you have? The T1-C would do the job for our current particular circumstances and we could also consider the T1X-C in the event future circumstances change.

I read all the FAQ's, they appear to cover everything except maintenance. Have you had any maintenance issues? The manual doesn't cover this either. Are there any maintenance interval requirements?

If you've had occasion to use it on ice and flat or low level snow, how does it perform? Do you know anyone else that has one that uses it with a nose wheel pant? If so, how well does it protect those delicate pants from damage?

Yes, they are very pricey, 2 times as much as some of the models I mentioned we had been looking at. We would have some heavy decision making to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Hi Pete,

After looking at the website and a number of videos, I can easily see why you are so impressed. Wow, I'm impressed big time. It's quite the machine in terms of construction, operation and performance. There's nothing else on the market that I've seen that compares to it, it is uniquely in it's own category. It's stupid simple to use and I like the safety features as well as the safety benefits it brings to towing and pushing the airplane itself. Which one do you have? The T1-C would do the job for our current particular circumstances and we could also consider the T1X-C in the event future circumstances change.

I read all the FAQ's, they appear to cover everything except maintenance. Have you had any maintenance issues? The manual doesn't cover this either. Are there any maintenance interval requirements?

If you've had occasion to use it on ice and flat or low level snow, how does it perform? Do you know anyone else that has one that uses it with a nose wheel pant? If so, how well does it protect those delicate pants from damage?

Yes, they are very pricey, 2 times as much as some of the models I mentioned we had been looking at. We would have some heavy decision making to do.
    I just got it, and have been able to use it once. So I have not had any maintenance issues yet. I asked the same thing, before I purchased it, and they said they had very little if any problems with them. They have a phone number on there site. They are very good at answering any questions or concerns.

I have not used it on snow or ice, but from one of the posted videos they have. It does show one pulling a trailer through at least a couple of inches of snow.

I have the T1-X. I chose that one because of the size of the T-6, and because of the VERY challenging hanger/tarmac conditions that I have. Previous to this tug, I had a Tailwheel Dragger. Good tug, but when they redid the tarmac in front of my hanger. It exceeded it's ability to do the job well.

Pete

H
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 05-04-2014 at 09:22 PM.