Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New EAA Web Site Splash Page

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pjaffray View Post
    Where is the weather page that used to be on Oshkosh365.org? I can't seem to find it now and www.oshkosh365.org just redirects to the new main EAA page.

Thanks.
    pdj
    Hi PDJ -

The weather feature was one of the few things about Oshkosh365 that actually got some positive feedback from time to time, but:

• It was fairly high maintenance, at least periodically - we relied on software tools from NOAA that they periodically changed without any advanced notice.
    • There are scores (hundreds?) of other sites out there that provide aviation weather free-of-charge. Many of these sites are run by people who are experts in these areas - it only makes sense for us to focus on what we're good at it and let them do the same.
    • It was grossly underutilized. Less than 5% of Oshkosh365 visitors used it, which translates to less than 3% of all EAA members.

I hope this helps give you some clarity into the decision not to replicate this feature on the new site.

Thanks -

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    That main page with changing graphics is not good for a low bandwidth user (my phone), and I now have to chase multiple places to find news and blogs, which are my main use for the site (other than the forums). I really don't want multiple bookmarks.

Your style seems to be all the rage, and I've seen lots of them go this way, but I've never liked it. Looks like I'm in a very small minority, though, judging by the other posts here.
    Actually they did miss the mark. New websites are being developed in a mode called "responsive". This means the CSS automatically adjusts between the smartphones, tablets and computers based on the screen size. If you really go to an extreme, the CSS will automatically also downgrade the graphics on smaller devices to reduce bandwidth, display area...

A good example of this behavior is when the menu changes from a bar at the top to a button which expands to a vertical menu based on screen size.
    For an example, see one of my sites: http://www.tangiblepayments.com

I do not bother changing graphic sizes and a few other techniques. But my menu, layout, and some text all are dynamically sized down to the smallest size, which is roughly the screen on an iPhone.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    Hi PDJ -

The weather feature was one of the few things about Oshkosh365 that actually got some positive feedback from time to time, but:

• It was fairly high maintenance, at least periodically - we relied on software tools from NOAA that they periodically changed without any advanced notice.
    • There are scores (hundreds?) of other sites out there that provide aviation weather free-of-charge. Many of these sites are run by people who are experts in these areas - it only makes sense for us to focus on what we're good at it and let them do the same.
    • It was grossly underutilized. Less than 5% of Oshkosh365 visitors used it, which translates to less than 3% of all EAA members.

I hope this helps give you some clarity into the decision not to replicate this feature on the new site.

Thanks -

Hal
    Hal,

I am one of the members who never used the weather feature. I did not know it was there... Probably to be fair, I would not use it even if I knew.
    Has EAA considered partnering with one or more of those sites?

Tim

Tspear, you probably know why I show the eaa.org main page trying to run scripts from googleadservices.com, google-analytics.com, microsoft.com, and ajax.googleapis.com. Seems a lot of sites do, but I'm not deep into it enough to know why. Can you elucidate?
    Last edited by Jim Rosenow; 04-29-2014 at 09:13 AM.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tspear View Post
    Hal,

I am one of the members who never used the weather feature. I did not know it was there... Probably to be fair, I would not use it even if I knew.
    Has EAA considered partnering with one or more of those sites?

Tim
    Hi Tim -

Sure - we usually do something like that around convention for Oshkosh-specific weather, and the idea of expanding one of those relationships is one that's come up in conversation more than once. Nothing concrete, but something we'll certainly look at.

-Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

That main page with changing graphics is not good for a low bandwidth user (my phone), and I now have to chase multiple places to find news and blogs, which are my main use for the site (other than the forums). I really don't want multiple bookmarks.

Your style seems to be all the rage, and I've seen lots of them go this way, but I've never liked it. Looks like I'm in a very small minority, though, judging by the other posts here.
    It's like going into a new town. You are lost as soon as you cross over into the city limits. I view this as going into a new town. Get use to all the roads, learn where all the shops are located and such and soon you feel at home.
    Change sucks but not stopping it. Can't beat them join them. I had a hard time finding what I wanted but now its getting easier. I have about one hr surfing on the site. Myself I like this site much better but I only use a laptop on Cable Broadband.
    I say thumbs up to the new site.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rosenow View Post
    Tspear, you probably know why I show the eaa.org main page trying to run scripts from googleadservices.com, google-analytics.com, microsoft.com, and ajax.googleapis.com. Seems a lot of sites do, but I'm not deep into it enough to know why. Can you elucidate?
    The new EAA website uses jQuery with a few AJAX toolsets from both Google and Microsoft. In this case, jQuery provides the dynamic backgrounds, slick menus and a few other tricks.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    Hi Tim -

Sure - we usually do something like that around convention for Oshkosh-specific weather, and the idea of expanding one of those relationships is one that's come up in conversation more than once. Nothing concrete, but something we'll certainly look at.

-Hal
    Hal,

If you can get him, Scott D. of https://avwxworkshops.com/ has the best weather programs and tools I have seen. The workshops and other stuff is just awesome.

Tim

That main page with changing graphics is not good for a low bandwidth user (my phone), and I now have to chase multiple places to find news and blogs, ...
    On my Android phone I get a reduced bandwidth version without the background image scrolling. Perhaps a selection to override the detected system could be added for full or mobile version.

I do have a problem with Firefox 28. The popup menu isn't displaying in the right spot like it does in IE
    Name:  EAASplash.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  33.8 KB

I do have a rather older machine. It's an Acer laptop with a 1.6 Ghz Intel T2060 processor. Running Vista with 2GB RAM. When the photo changes, I get a spike of about 45% CPU usage. If course Firefox is a huge memory hog too.
    I used the Windows Network Connection Status screen, and see that after I clear cache I get about 3.5MB loaded when I go to the new eaa.org page. There may be some other background transfer going on in those 4 to 5 seconds, but I don't think it's much.
    Last edited by PaulDow; 04-30-2014 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tspear View Post
    The new EAA website uses jQuery with a few AJAX toolsets from both Google and Microsoft. In this case, jQuery provides the dynamic backgrounds, slick menus and a few other tricks.

Tim
    I guess I'm paranoid in my old age....I was wondering about tracking activity. Thanks!

Jim