Thread: Transponder

Transponder

I can't get my transponder signed off by the end of the month can I still fly VFR until I can get it signed off?

Here are the regs, appears to be the answer "depends"
    FAR 91 aircraft equipment required Day
    VFR minimum equipment: airspeed, altimeter, compass, tachometer, fuel gauge, oil temperature, oil pressure, (gear indicator and manifold pressure)
    Night
    VFR minimum equipment: Position lights, beacon, power source, and a flashlight. Class D airspace requires a radio while Class C and B requires radio, and an encoding transponder.
    Transponder
    required above 10,000' in TCA, in ARSA, and above ARSA. FAR 91.413 requires the transponder to be checked and certified within the preceding 24 calendar months.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Chips View Post
    Here are the regs,
    Transponder[/B] required above 10,000' in TCA, in ARSA, and above ARSA. FAR 91.413 requires the transponder to be checked and certified within the preceding 24 calendar months.
    lol. Blue Chips, your regs are about 20 yrs out of date. Better toss that book and review the new regs before your next flight.

llacy, yes, you can fly. Just leave the transponder switched to the OFF mode and don't operate in any airspace that requires a transponder.
    Last edited by martymayes; 04-24-2014 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by llacy View Post
    I can't get my transponder signed off by the end of the month can I still fly VFR until I can get it signed off?
    Haven't you heard, Obama says you only have to comply with the regulations that you wish to comply with. You can have a FAA ceertified mechanic mark it "inop" or remove it from the aircraft depending on the type of flying you are doing; Part 91, Part 135, Part 121, Single engine or large multiengine aircraft etc. Can't you read the FARs there are only a few compared with the tax code and everybody with an airplane is required to file income taxes. Ha Ha Ha! go fly and have fun. (Reqired for Ultralight Pilots, Ref FAR 103) Sorry, you got me going but it is not your fault.

The good news, in this case, is that the FAA is underfunded and does not have the will or ability to care about what you do unless you crash. They would rather spend money notifying you of privately funded safety events. Fly safe, it's more fun that way.

Ref post # 3 not true it must be marked "inop" lest some other pilot turn it on not knowing that it is out of certificatioon. Also depending on your flight conditions as mentioned above it would need to be included on a MEL before it can be INOPED.

Yes, read the FARs it will help you sleep at night. The tax code does not work as well as you will just get angry.
    Last edited by jedi; 04-24-2014 at 06:07 PM.

LOL, answer is the same.
    Where and how I fly a transponder is not required only required instruments at minimum.

Tca...

The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Ref post # 3 not true it must be marked "inop" lest some other pilot turn it on not knowing that it is out of certificatioon. Also depending on your flight conditions as mentioned above it would need to be included on a MEL before it can be INOPED.
    Incorrect. If the transponder is not INOP, it does not need to be placarded INOP. If it works but has not been tested IAW Part 43 Appendix F in the past 24 months, it can't be turned on while operating in airspace described in 91.215 para (b)(1) through (b)(5). Leave it OFF and go.

The same thing happens when a plane hasn't had an IFR pitot static check IAW Appendix E in the past 24 months. You do not have to placard the plane INOP for IFR.

There was a guy I used to know who flew at times beyond the 24 month limitation. He was VFR, talking to ATC on a squawk, the mode C was correct & everybody was happy. Now you wouldn't want to be squawking 1200 with a large altitude discrepancy, on a discreet code ATC will let you know. The easiest way to check the mode C readout is with ATC.

O.K., the correct answer is to get the 24 month checkup.

Well ATC is happy because nobody knows any different. It doesn't mean things are right and just because it works fine with one facility doesn't mean it's not out of spec with the next. There's more than just reading back the squawk code and the mode C readout required here.