Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some suggestions on splitting this sleeve

I've spent (read wasted)hours searching/inquiring for these bearings or similar, found some that would make for a very good substitute and inexpensive from Motion Ind. unfortunately, they require a minimum 300 quantity to purchase. They show as singularly available on the website, going to try that and see how far it goes. Strange thing is a inadvertent email quote was received for 80 of them, I sense a rat in the wood pile. Hind sight being 20-20 should have just made them to begin with, they would have been done by now.

So much time is wasted looking, as annoying as the internet is I am very glad for it, seems almost like one can't get along with out it though I built one of these helicopters in the early 70's with no internet, imagine that, no internet......
    Last edited by Blue Chips; 04-24-2014 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Chips View Post
    I've spent (read wasted)hours searching/inquiring for these bearings or similar, found some that would make for a very good substitute and inexpensive from Motion Ind. unfortunately, they require a minimum 300 quantity to purchase. They show as singularly available on the website, going to try that and see how far it goes. Strange thing is a inadvertent email quote was received for 80 of them, I sense a rat in the wood pile. Hind sight being 20-20 should have just made them to begin with, they would have been done by now.

So much time is wasted looking, as annoying as the internet is I am very glad for it, seems almost like one can't get along with out it though I built one of these helicopters in the early 70's with no internet, imagine that, no internet......
    Usually I have found its easier to just make what I need. So much time can be wasted trying to make something"work"

Maybe I missed it, but with a flange on both ends your 'kerf' must equal the flange width+ unless you intend to build the hole around the bushing???

Don't follow you Jim.

Don't follow you Jim.
    Me either

Don't follow you Jim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Novak View Post
    Me either
    First! When I replied, Blue Chips image in post #9 was not visible to me. Sooo without that extra info, I thought you were asking to install a double flanged bushing into a hole which is impossible since the flange exceeds the diameter of the hole

Now that I see how you are doing it I think you are over complicating it???

I would paint or use a permanent marker on the flange to 'match mark' before I cut it with a hand held Dremel cutoff wheel.

The cut is thin and this way every wavy deviation will match just as well as well as any other method short of machining 2 bushings.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hardin View Post
    Now that I see how you are doing it I think you are over complicating it???
    Now that is one area where I need no instruction.

Been a good thread and it is very doable several ways as mentioned here.

Thanks

For others information if it may be needed or of use.
    Motion Industries did not come through (after 10 days) but was able to locate an alternative through http://www.igus.com/
    They also have UK distribution at http://www.igus.co.uk/

Ordered 1", 3/4 and 1/2 bore
    http://www.igus.com/wpck/3727/iglidur_clips2?C=US&L=en

No lubrication required, can be made non-rotatable if need be with a drop of Loctite Prism 480.
    Excellent specifications for control bearings and available in numerous inch and metric sizes.

They beat you up a bit on shipping but the prices are very inexpensive, cant even begin to spend the time machining for what all these cost.