Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Registering an Experimental?

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator22S View Post
    The airplane is only a single place airplane, called a Mini-Max. I don't believe that there are any of these that were ready-to-fly airplanes. As far as I know they are all built from plans as is the case with this one, unless someone else knows otherwise. Maybe that might help me in my quest for an N-number as that should make it rather easy to prove to a DAR that this one is plans-built. It was built in the builders garage. He taught himself to fly in it back in the days when it was an ultralight. It is still in very nice condition although there are some signs of wear.

Thanks for all of the feedback! It has all been helpful.
    Ahhhhh...if you had told us up front it is a MiniMax it would have saved a bunch of guesstimating.

I built a MiniMax twenty years ago (alas..it has since been removed from the land of the living....) and it is one of the most beloved little wood airplanes ever drawn to plans (or kitted). This is an aircraft that definitely falls within the 51% rule regardless of whether it was built from plans or a TEAM kit. It is very unlikely it was professionally built because the profit margin would have been too thin to make it worthwhile.

My MiniMax:

Name:  max-1.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  21.9 KB

There is only one version of the MiniMax that is Part 103 compliant, and I bet yours isn't. The Max 103 is a stripped down version with a single-cylinder 277 Rotax. Most Maxes were built with a twin 377 Rotax.

All you gotta do is get in touch with a DAR, tell him what you have, and let him send you a doc package to get the process started. The DAR will conduct one inspection and make sure all paperwork is in proper order.

All this info and links to most of the docs is available on the EAA site:

http://members.eaa.org/home/homebuil.../register.html

Here is technical support:

http://www.teammini-max.com/

Enjoy your great little airplane!
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 04-22-2014 at 03:42 PM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Right, but nothing has changed. If it's not a legal part 103 bird today, it wasn't when it was built. Nobody's touched the regs. The only thing is the "training" exemption (which wasn't in the regs anyhow) went away and the LSA amnesty for non-compliant birds.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Right, but nothing has changed. If it's not a legal part 103 bird today, it wasn't when it was built. Nobody's touched the regs.
    I wasn't going there.........
    Sam Buchanan

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    Ahhhhh...if you had told us up front it is a MiniMax it would have saved a bunch of guesstimating.

I built a MiniMax twenty years ago (alas..it has since been removed from the land of the living....) and it is one of the most beloved little wood airplanes ever drawn to plans (or kitted). This is an aircraft that definitely falls within the 51% rule regardless of whether it was built from plans or a TEAM kit. It is very unlikely it was professionally built because the profit margin would have been too thin to make it worthwhile.

My MiniMax:

Name:  max-1.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  21.9 KB

There is only one version of the MiniMax that is Part 103 compliant, and I bet yours isn't. The Max 103 is a stripped down version with a single-cylinder 277 Rotax. Most Maxes were built with a twin 377 Rotax.

All you gotta do is get in touch with a DAR, tell him what you have, and let him send you a doc package to get the process started. The DAR will conduct one inspection and make sure all paperwork is in proper order.

All this info and links to most of the docs is available on the EAA site:

http://members.eaa.org/home/homebuil.../register.html

Here is technical support:

http://www.teammini-max.com/

Enjoy your great little airplane!
    Thanks so much for the help Sam! I actually didn't know what kind of airplane it was at first so that's why I didn't say up front. I didn't realize it would make a whole lot of difference until I saw speculation that it might be a two place airplane. I had no idea that there ever was such a thing as a two place ultralight. As far as the rules having changed, I haven't been in aviation long enough to know what the 103 rules used to be so I'm simply going off of what I was told by other people. All I know is that it was legal without an N-number before and now I'm being told it isn't so it needs one.

By the way, that's a pretty airplane. Sorry to hear that it is no more.
    Last edited by Aviator22S; 04-22-2014 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator22S View Post
    Thanks so much for the help Sam! I actually didn't know what kind of airplane it was at first so that's why I didn't say up front. I didn't realize it would make a whole lot of difference until I saw speculation that it might be a two place airplane. I had no idea that there ever was such a thing as a two place ultralight. As far as the rules having changed, I haven't been in aviation long enough to know what the 103 rules used to be so I'm simply going off of what I was told by other people. All I know is that it was legal without an N-number before and now I'm being told it isn't so it needs one.

By the way, that's a pretty airplane. Sorry to hear that it is no more.
    I know it is confusing when you don't have extensive background on the regs and folks around you give you conflicting info. In this case, someone is giving you incorrect information. As Ron stated earlier, Part 103 rules haven't changed in regard to how a single-place aircraft is in compliance. I see you dealing with one of the following scenarios:

1) The MiniMax has always been overweight for 103 but it was flown without registration by its former owner(s). This happens a lot.

2) The Minimax is compliant with 103 and can continue to be flown as an ultralight. This would require the Max to be the Max-103 model of which relatively few were built because they are so lightly and sparsely built/equipped (no seat padding, no brakes, single-cylinder engine, lighter tail, etc, etc). In this case no paperwork needs to be generated. You might consider membership in USUA so you can obtain liability insurance if based on a general aviation airport.

3)The Max never was compliant and those around you recognize this and are encouraging you to register the aircraft as E-AB (experimental, amateur-built).

If you have one of the rare Max-103 aircraft, there is no need for you to register it unless you just want the privileges that go with an experimental certificate. If the Max is a bit heavy (likely) you can continue to fly it as it was previously (depends on your sense of propriety), or seek an experimental airworthiness certificate. I don't think you will hit any insurmountable obstacles if you pursue the certificate.

Hope all this hasn't been too confusing. See if you can find someone who really knows the experimental/ultralight universe and find out what you have and your options. As a general rule, those with only experience with certified spam cans or no UL background won't have a clue as to how to approach your plane. And once you find that competent person, have them give your plane an exhaustive pre-flight inspection.
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 04-22-2014 at 05:29 PM.
    Sam Buchanan

I owned a Hi-Max that never was registered by the builder, I then sold it. I sold this Hi-Max to an A&P IA. He told me he would have it N-Numbered so he contacted the FAA. The FAA wanted the Airplane, the builder the FAA inspector or whoever the FAA sends and the current owner all at one place or under the same roof all at the same time.
    I am not sure he ever did this. Hard to get everyone at one place when the builder lives across the country. But this is what the FAA told him needed to be done in order to N-Number this non-registered Experimental.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I owned a Hi-Max that never was registered by the builder, I then sold it. I sold this Hi-Max to an A&P IA. He told me he would have it N-Numbered so he contacted the FAA. The FAA wanted the Airplane, the builder the FAA inspector or whoever the FAA sends and the current owner all at one place or under the same roof all at the same time.
    I am not sure he ever did this. Hard to get everyone at one place when the builder lives across the country. But this is what the FAA told him needed to be done in order to N-Number this non-registered Experimental.

Tony
    We have to keep in mind that there often is no monolithic "FAA". There can be considerable variation in procedures from one FSDO to another. They all should be working from the same federal orders...but we often see various interpretations. Some FSDOs are very territorial, others will allow DARs from neighboring FSDOs into their territory with prior arrangement.

Tech counselors often advise builders to "shop" their DAR in order to find those who are most friendly to the task at hand. Unfortunately this sometimes doesn't happen and the builder ends up having to deal with challenges he never anticipated.

Take this for whatever it is worth.....things are not always as cut-n-dried as we think they are.
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 04-22-2014 at 09:20 PM.
    Sam Buchanan

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    We have to keep in mind that there often is no monolithic "FAA". There can be considerable variation in procedures from one FSDO to another. They all should be working from the same federal orders...but we often see various interpretations. Some FSDOs are very territorial, others will allow DARs from neighboring FSDOs into their territory with prior arrangement.

Tech counselors often advise builders to "shop" their DAR in order to find those who are most friendly to the task at hand. Unfortunately this sometimes doesn't happen and the builder ends up having to deal with challenges he never anticipated.

Take this for whatever it is worth.....things are not always as cut-n-dried as we think they are.
    Just imagine if we ran the DMV this way.

Tony

I will second what Sam said. Every FAA office is a different FAA. Shop around. In my neck of the woods we even see folks look at the "service area" for the local FSDO's and find a way to locate their work in the area of the FSDO that is most accommodating to what they are doing. So ask around the EAA chapters in your area for advice on other builder's experiences.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS