Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Changes for the Thunderbirds

EAA is probably paying for some of the fuel. The manual states that Fuel must be provided and they will only reimburse the DOD contract amount (believe it's $3.73 for JP8), EAA would be responsible for the difference to the vendor. They estimate 16,200 gallons needed for a weekend show.

Firstly let me say how much I love Oshkosh, this year marks 30 years since my first trip from the UK. I fully appreciate the increasing financial pressures that OUR association is under to deliver a convention that brings in enough revenue to offset the huge costs. However, as a long-serving member I really must question whether the significant disruption from accommodating the Thunderbirds increased aerobatic box is worth it?? The airshow on Friday, Saturday Sunday will see very significant areas cleared of people. The key point that most people don't seem to realise is that people will have to watch the ENTIRE airshow through maybe 5 or 6 rows of parked aircraft! Many of us who are there for a week can go to do our flying shopping etc but I suspect paying members of the public on a day visit will not be best pleased that they don't have a clear view, not only of the runway with the arrivals / departures but also the low level airshow acts -have you ever tried to watch a show through a crowded aircraft park in front of you?

In addition, aircraft owners that set-up camp to accommodate friends adjacent to the burn line will be ejected, the southern parking areas south of ultralights will be cleared (a lot of people / members who fly in, park there to enjoy the event in peace away from the speakers) and I suspect the wonderful, yet increasingly hard-pressed volunteers, will have to deal with a lot of potentially frustrated members and public.

Of course its too late to stop the boulder rolling down the hill but I do hope that lessons are learnt at the very top. The Thunderbirds are of course a wonderful team and as someone who spent 28 years in the Royal Air Force working closely with the USAF in many operational theatres, I appreciate the value of such great ambassadors for the military. But sadly I believe its a big mistake, the size of which will only be appreciated by the majority during the latter part of the show. See you all there, on Sunday to Thursday at least Cheers, Paul

Except for the people who get there early enough to sit right on the burn line, people have been watching the airshow through "parked aircraft" for years. The airshow by and large takes place IN THE AIR. There are people wet up in lawn chairs all over the grounds and I suspect we'll see them lined up right at the speaker poles.

It's an experiment. People have been griping for the 20+ years that I have been going to Oshkosh that the blues or the tbirds never perform and in the past it was said it was "impossible." Well, with some pretty tough work and even a little bending of the rules (normally these acts wouldn't even allow EMPTY aircraft past the line), it is possible this year.

I'll reserve judgement.

First time commenter, but I would like to weigh in on this. As one who has been to many different types of airshows over the years both fly-in and military, I dont think the pushed back line will bother most. You will still be seated closer than most airshows to the performers. I think you'll have a pretty good view of the T-birds. Even when you sit on the burn line you're often still looking thru aircraft. Other airshows have the same issues, try going to a military airshow and trying to watch with C-130s and C-5s in the way. Yes I like to be on the burn line for the warbirds, but it isn't the end of the world for me. Personally, I'm glad they are bringing in acts like the T-Birds. Over the years, except for a few acts, the afternoon airshow, to me, can get a bit boring. I think acts like the T-Birds will bring in more revenue and help the secure better acts or displays for the future. As FlyingRon said above I'll reserve judgement., but regardless I wont stop coming. Oshkosh has become for me a lot more than just the airshow. For me its a chance to hang out with all my airplane dork friends and family, see unique aircraft, rub elbows with aviation "celebrities" and have fun camping and relaxing. I think many people have gotten spoiled over the years with how awesome Oshkosh really is.

I was at Sun-n-fun this year which had the blues and had to do similar things. Of course it's smaller and way more laid back but couldn't really see anybody complaining.

true that lots of people do watch the airshow all the time thru the parked aircraft and sitting well back. But not anyone who wants to take a descent photograph, they are all on the burn line and there are lots of them. Particularly for the warbirds, which a lot of people come to see, the only time you can get good photos, is when they are taking off and landing, many of the fly-bys are too far away, yes ok for B25s, B17s and big formations, but not the rest.
    Sure a lot of the airshow isnt that exciting, I do get fed up seeing the multiple aerobatics acts. But the Thunderbirds are that exciting either, formation fly-by, the wait 3 or 4 minutes and they come back the other way in a different formation. Maybe a few opposition passes. Im sure they will bring in lots of locals to sit outside the fence. But I really cant see that many people who aren't interested enough in the fantastic show that Oshkosh is, to suddenly pay to come in because the Thunderbirds are there.
    I must say Ive never heard any Oshkosh regular say they wanted the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels there and everyone without exception who Ive spoken to about it has said they thought it was a bad idea and a backward step in the wrong direction. Especially after the success of last year and an apparent welcome step back to grassroots, reversing the trend of the previous year with big speakers and corporate Chalets blocking the flightline.

Well, this will be my 24th Oshksoh, and I've heard "why not?" any number of times in the past. I find the idea that this is "a neat idea" vs. "a total disaster" roughly split 50-50. Frankly, the Blues at SnF was pretty successful in my estimation.

Wow, if I were a homeowner I would be TICKED at having to vacate my home during the airshow. I am one of the Sunday stalwarts who stays for the entire airshow and watches planes depart afterward. It will be interesting to see how things are different this year.

Friday evening and the webcams show several rows of Vintage are full. It appears they are trying to avoid having anybody straddle the relocated burn line (perhaps to avoid access disagreements during the Fri-Sat-Sun airshows). Looks like they're basically losing one space in each row to the Thunderbirds, thereby pushing everybody south. Not a big deal, just another thing when considering whether this is worth it or not.