Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to the future???

Banned

Back to the future???

According to an Avweb exclusive, AOPA thinks the venerable Cessna 152 may be the trainer of the future and therefore the hoped-for key to affordable flying. It entered into a secretive (not any more) project to see if it's right. AOPA has confirmed that it is currently refurbishing a number of 152's with some modern avionics to determine if affordable training and ownership can be culled from the existing fleet.

Practicality, reliability, training and ownership affordability and rental potential is the focus of the project to demonstrate to flying clubs and flight schools that refurbished existing trainers can be effectively and efficiently used to attract new pilots, grow the pilot population and significantly reduce flying costs.

The greatest fear of SLSA producers has been that the FAA would consider an increase to the max weight to include 150/152's. That doesn't look like it will happen, at least in the foreseable future. However, this AOPA initiative, if implemented, may offer the elephant in the room another way to bust loose. If I was a SLSA producer I'd be concerned. AOPA is looking at a target price of $85K. Stay tuned.

Plan(e) B?....

Agreed the 150/2 is one of the best training airplanes around. There are many sitting around dis-used that could possibly be puchased and brought back to spec (no glass) for much less than that by an enterprising individual.

Case in point...we were in the LA area last week for a few days. We parked at SoCal Flying Club at El Monte airport while we were there. In the tie-down next to us was a 150 that didn't look ALL that bad, but had obviously been sitting there awhile, was sitting on flat tires and needed at least a bunch of TLC. Didn't even get the n-number, but it looked like an opportunity for someone in the area that was willing to work some to fly. I pass it along for what it's worth...

Hope you will consider this at least tangentically topic-related, Floats :-)

Jim

Sounds as logical as putting an Intel Haswell 22-nm CPU into a TRS-80 Color Computer (remember them?).

I can remember when aviation was the future, not the past.
    Bill

The biggest problem being this is the eaa is most folks fly from small grass fields today. I am speaking of the EAA types. So why spend all that cash to put a 150/2 in the air when one can build or buy something like these.

http://www.zenithair.com/stolch701/p...01-801-750.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    The biggest problem being this is the eaa is most folks fly from small grass fields today. I am speaking of the EAA types. So why spend all that cash to put a 150/2 in the air when one can build or buy something like these.

The "why" would be commercial use of the aircraft. The cost could be potentially less to "refurbish" a C-150/152 than it is to buy a new S-LSA,( the used S-LSA market is still very small). Remember also that Sport pilot instruction does not have to be in a light sport aircraft, only the check ride. That could mean that a FBO could have one S-LSA that is used for check rides and rental while less expensive C-150s are taking the beatings of primary instruction at a much lower acquisition cost.

Also, as one who flies a Champ under light sport, you have to think long and hard about landing on a hard surface runway with a nasty 15- 20 kt crosswind with a tail dragger. Not near the problem with C150/152 or Cherokee, etc. Grass on the other hand is more forgiving. Just another reason to drop the third class medical requirement for aircraft over 1320 GW.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post

There aren't grass fields everywhere -- in fact a goodly chunk of the western US doesn't have the kind of grass fields that are much more common in the east (they're closer to dirt, if they're not paved). And lots of EAA types fly from paved fields.

As to your question about the 150/2, homebuilding airplanes isn't for everyone (even for some EAA folks), and those considering refurbishing older certificated aircraft are looking at new folks, as well as many existing pilots that aren't into experimentals. And, of course, for commercial operations EXP is out.

Larry N.

sounds great until you consider the useful load of a 150/2 and the growing size of america.

200lbs isn't uncommon, and 2 200lb people will put them over weight at full fuel. especially if you are adding weight with modern avionics ...

adding weight with modern avionics ...
    If updating from older avionics, I'd think you'd reduce weight a bit. And there are still a lot of 150-180 lb. people out there.

Larry N.

My thought on the avionics would be to keep it as simple as possible. Equip with what is needed at your airport nothing more, so as to keep the cost and weight down. Much of the avionics and radio training can be done on the ground not in the "primary" trainer. The thought of "over weight at full fuel" is a big part of the complaints about the new LSA's as well. The solution to that is easy don't fill the tanks. I had my primary training in a Cherokee warrior, two people,160 hp and a PARTIAL fuel load was the norm. Even at 9 gallons per hour why carry 48 gallons? the normal training flight is one hour carry two hours of fuel that's plenty. For cross-countries, it makes it real if weight and balance must be considered, not just computed as an exercise. A C-150 (+- 6 gal/hr) with 26 gallons of fuel could leave most of it behind on the majority of training flights. Just some thoughts from some one who, it seems, is "getting old".