Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Long Do I Wait?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
    Find an AME that does a lot of special issuance exams and have a conversation about your circumstances. They can tell you what you are up against, your chance of success and the time it will take. It was the best advice I got when I had to go through the SI process. It takes away the guessing and angst. You can't be denied until you fill out the MedXpress form AND give the number to the AME AND he opens it. Only then does the clock start. Don't do that unless and until you are sure you're ready to pass. While you do that, buy something you can fly LSA. Buy right and you can sell it a year later for the same amount. I did that and have gotten a 2nd class medical via SI and can continue flying my Navion. Good luck.

Regards,
    Greg Young
    This...Make an appointment with a AME to review your case and map out the route to an SI and a return to full flying. Nothing is official if you don't fill out and activate a medXpress.

Mark Newberry, AME

I had the same issue. I asked myself this question: Am I willing to give up flying to take a chance at getting a non-LSA airplane? I am in good health and took a chance knowing I would be grounded if I failed. I passed.

Just how important is it to you to have a four-place airplane?

Of course flying gliders is "real flying" according to many glider pilots.

Quote Originally Posted by DanWilkins View Post

Of course flying gliders is "real flying" according to many glider pilots.

If you try and loose, there are some nice two seat motor gliders out there. Katana Tiefun, etc.