Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Long Do I Wait?

How Long Do I Wait?

Okay, here's my quandary. I allowed my medical to lapse awhile back. So,
    I can now fly an LSA by using my driver's license as my "medical" and using my
    ATP as my pilot's ticket. My daughter, on the other hand, had her last medical
    denied. So, she's shut out of using her ATP (except in gliders) since she is
    precluded from utilizing the driver's license option as a result of that denial
    of her last medical certificate.
    I'm in the market to buy a plane. I'd like a four-seater. But, that would
    necessitate a medical certificate. If I were to fail the exam, I would then be
    shut out of flying even a two-seat LSA. So, its a case of one in the hand, or
    two in the bush. Do I leave well-enough alone and limit myself to a two-seat
    LSA and thus forego any risk associated with failing a medical exam? Or, do I
    put off the purchase of a plane for who-knows-how-long in hopes that the Feds
    will see the light and allow the driver's license to be a new-found substitute
    for a 3rd--class medical? That would open the door for the purchase of a
    desired four-seater.
    In the meantime, my ownership aspirations for a four-seater are,
    unfortunately, dwindling on the vine. I'm not getting any younger, and my
    flying days are becoming subject to what's left of my life expectancy How much
    longer should I wait before making my move and eschewing a four-seater and
    accepting the limits of a two-seat LSA?.

Buy the LSA now and enjoy flying now. You can sell the LSA and buy a four-seater if and when the medical regulations change to allow that. In the meantime, life will be more worthwhile.

Another option would be to rent an LSA, while waiting for the regulations to change. But that may not be feasible. I have an 80-mile drive one way to rent the nearest LSA and it certainly is a deterrent to flying frequently while I'm building my EAB.
    Bill

You are expecting the Govt to do anything fast? Lets not forget that the FAA has twice now been moving toward reducing the medical (once with recreational, then again with LSA) and both times turned left at the last second. IIRC, Rec was supposed to be without a medical, the FAA still required it. And LSA was supposed to be without a medical, but at the last second they added in the part about being denied meant you could not do LSA with a drivers license.

I have a little bit of faith that things will change, but I have very little faith it will be anytime soon.

I'd buy an LSA and go fly with my daughter. And some of the LSA's are really nice. A classic Cub is a classic Cub and the Carbon Cub is down right insane. You give up a little, but unless you want a serious acro plane or a 4 place cross country machine I don't think you give up much.

If you are an AOPA member, they can discuss your medical condition with you and see if there is anything which would be a negative to you getting a 3rd class medical. I think EAA may also offer a similar service, and either may be joined for a $45, well worth it.
    If you have something major like recent DUIs they can tell you before you even take the FAA medical. If there is any doubt you could even go to a non FAA doctor for a good check up and see if there are any problems. If not, you could get your current medical. Or stay with the LSA program. However, course, no matter what paper you have or not, your don't want to fly if there is any real reason not to.

If it is mostly you and your daughter do you really need more than 2 seats?
    Of course, a little more performance than an LSA may be enjoyable.

Good luck

You answered your own question. Have to go LSA as you note. Trying to get SI takes so much time and effort that based on your forecast, it just not feasible. I did it because I enjoyed flying different aircraft. If you just want to fly around, there are a few good LSAs ) And I mean FEW!. DIsregard the reviews by interested parties (LAMA associated people) and you will be fine.

You have basically answered the question. Two seat LSA is the obvious answer.
    If you really want the third class medical, join AOPA as others have stated and get a reference to Dr. Chen or other AME consultants. They can give you the full write up and exam without it being "official". They will then be able to determine your chances of passing the actual AME visit, and what information you need to have prepared.

Tim

Find an AME that does a lot of special issuance exams and have a conversation about your circumstances. They can tell you what you are up against, your chance of success and the time it will take. It was the best advice I got when I had to go through the SI process. It takes away the guessing and angst. You can't be denied until you fill out the MedXpress form AND give the number to the AME AND he opens it. Only then does the clock start. Don't do that unless and until you are sure you're ready to pass. While you do that, buy something you can fly LSA. Buy right and you can sell it a year later for the same amount. I did that and have gotten a 2nd class medical via SI and can continue flying my Navion. Good luck.

Regards,
    Greg Young

If you're an AOPA member your best resource is Doctor Bruce Chien on the medical forum there or if you need specific assistance, contact him through his web site (or a PM on the board). He's a very senior HIMS AME who was one of the guys who wrote the SSRI protocol, for example. He knows how to deal with the FAA and what is going to fly and what is not.

Frankly, I'm browned off on the AOPA medical assistance folks. Not very useful and were a contributory to my screwed up medical about 15 years ago (though the primary fault was an AME who screwed up badly who after talking with Doc Bruce probably should have had his designation removed based on some of his improprieties).

Go Sport Pilot and do not look back. If things change in the regs then get yourself a 4 seat. But do expect to pay more if this new rule goes into effect and you purchase after the fact. But as we all know as of today it looks as this new way of thinking has been cut off at the knees but some politicians.

I would go SP and do not look back. Give up on the 4 seat. Its in days past at this stage of the game, at least the way you spelled it out it is.

I would ask myself if I jump through all the hoops and pay the fee's how long will that medical stay in place. In other words how long before you no longer pass the medical. if the answer is a few short years give up on the idea of a 4 seat.

Tony
    Last edited by 1600vw; 04-18-2014 at 07:25 AM.

I would suggest as others have that you get an LSA. A sport pilot compliant aircraft or new LSA you could fly now, most recreational flyers fly by themselves or with one passenger, would that be you? A new LSA will perform better than a legacy aircraft, they weigh less and have the max gross of 1320, with empty weights of 650 or so. Compared to a legacy aircraft weighing 700-800 lbs. and a gross of 1220, with many as well as the 65 hp. Cont. vs. 85-100 hp rotax, you can see how the performace is biased to the new LSA. These are generalities of course, I own an Aeronca and have flown a new Eurofox, the Eurofox was a stellar performer but I very much prefer my Champ. Fly some (compliant) LSAs and see what you think, remember to keep the expected normal usage in mind and good luck. Greg