Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New here, looking for training

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Finney View Post
    There are a couple of companies that plan on (or maybe are, by now) offering SLSA aircraft that are certificated versions of the old UL trainers, and are legal for instruction.
    There are NO certified Ultralight SLSA aircraft being offered by any companies as of right now. Try and find one. I have called a lot of companies looking for such an aircraft. They are not around. Now if you own a two seat something or other you can get trained in it, but no training can be done in it for anyone but the owner.

Lets say you have a registered two place Hornet, you can legally get training in that from a qualified instructor but no one but the owner can get this training. This is why training clubs are forming. Buy into the club get your training then sell your membership to the next student.

Tony

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    There are NO certified Ultralight SLSA aircraft being offered by any companies as of right now. Try and find one. I have called a lot of companies looking for such an aircraft. They are not around.
    Tony
    OK Tony, I'll bite. Just out from the granddaddy of UL's:

http://www.quicksilveraircraft.com/details.php

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    OK Tony, I'll bite. Just out from the granddaddy of UL's:

http://www.quicksilveraircraft.com/details.php

Yes this just came out I saw this. Now who owns one to train in and who is going to buy one to train in? Sure you might find a few people who will spent 40 large on this but it will be so few and far between its a joke. We need to let those who have these already train in them. Like I said in theory 1. To sell airplanes.

What is the difference between this and the two seat quicksliver in most hangars today. They are everywhere. But make people buy a new airplane that is just like the one they already own and only paid a fraction of the cost of that bird.

Tony

As far as new trainers there are at least three, the CGS Hawk 2, the M-Squared Breeze 2, and the new Quicksilver Sport 2. More to the point we can receive training in anything,the hitch is paying for it. If someone has an E-LSA they can provide instruction in it, the cannot charge for the aircraft or their time. If the student owns the aircraft the instructor can charge for their time. The problem is NOT just the FAA, it is the selfish greed and fear of liability,(societal greed),that prevents our fellow pilots and aircraft owners from providing instruction. There are high drag low mass aircraft out there, there are far too few owners will to provide the use of those aircraft, We must fix this problem ourselves, if you have an aircraft that could be useful to someone offer it! Don't just saw it's the fault of the "rules" when something goes wrong and YOU had the power to effect the outcome. A licenses is not required for #103, no CFI-ultralight EVER existed. Even in certified aircraft their is no rule stating that a "trainer or instructor" must be a CFI that is to log time as "dual instruction". Do YOU want to be safer or help someone else to be safer?, then put YOUR aircraft and skills as a pilot in type where your complaints are. Be a big part of the solution! If you are flying anyway it costs nothing more to take someone with you and let them get used to your aircraft type.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Wilson View Post
    As far as new trainers there are at least three, the CGS Hawk 2, the M-Squared Breeze 2, and the new Quicksilver Sport 2. More to the point we can receive training in anything,the hitch is paying for it. If someone has an E-LSA they can provide instruction in it, the cannot charge for the aircraft or their time. If the student owns the aircraft the instructor can charge for their time. The problem is NOT just the FAA, it is the selfish greed and fear of liability,(societal greed),that prevents our fellow pilots and aircraft owners from providing instruction. There are high drag low mass aircraft out there, there are far too few owners will to provide the use of those aircraft, We must fix this problem ourselves, if you have an aircraft that could be useful to someone offer it! Don't just saw it's the fault of the "rules" when something goes wrong and YOU had the power to effect the outcome. A licenses is not required for #103, no CFI-ultralight EVER existed. Even in certified aircraft their is no rule stating that a "trainer or instructor" must be a CFI that is to log time as "dual instruction". Do YOU want to be safer or help someone else to be safer?, then put YOUR aircraft and skills as a pilot in type where your complaints are. Be a big part of the solution! If you are flying anyway it costs nothing more to take someone with you and let them get used to your aircraft type.
    Greg, I'm glad you posted this. I'm seriously interested in borrowing your aircraft. Can you reply with your airport base location and what type aircraft you have to offer? This is not a smart reply, this is a sincere inquiry. Thank You.

Best Regards......George
    George Dean
    CP-ASMEL/I, S-6ES
    EAA, APA, & AOPA member
    KTYL/KGEU, EAA White Mountain Chapter 586 - Show Low Regional KSOW
    "If you go down, go down standing up"

This goes back to theory 1. They did this to sell airplanes.

For there are thousands of these planes parked in hangars all across this country. But the people who own them can not train in them because they do not have what the new airplanes you mention have. Do we all know what that is? I believe we do, a piece of paper saying they can train in these.

Stupid is as stupid does. This is just stupid.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Six View Post
    Greg, I'm glad you posted this. I'm seriously interested in borrowing your aircraft. Can you reply with your airport base location and what type aircraft you have to offer? This is not a smart reply, this is a sincere inquiry. Thank You.

Best Regards......George
    I'm in Michigan, and the ultralight I currently have is a single sear Team Mini-Max. I fly an Aeronca 7AC and have offered it to other pilots but surprisingly none have taken me up on the offer. I was upset when I posted, (should not do that!!), and trying to point out that the FAA position is all based on compensation. If you are not compensated past 50% of direct cost they don't care. I have talked to some RV builders in Cheboygan MI. that could not get any stick time in other RV's here in northern MI. The stated reason was it is not allowed, it may be with their insurance but it would not be an FAA reg. issue. I'm not saying instructors should work for free, I'm saying that to get some familiarity flights the aircraft does not have to be an S-LSA, or T.C.'d, or even an E-AB with a waiver for instruction. It takes an owner/pilot willing to put up their aircraft and time to help with the safety of us all. If you come to northern MI, ask at GLR for me, right now we still have snow but I can put the skis back on the Champ. There are likely some "two seat ultralight" type E-LSA's around that could be used for non-paid training for ultralight transition, they will be hard to find as the owners will not be "instructors", but good luck. Greg

I'm in Michigan, and the ultralight I currently have is a single sear Team Mini-Max. I fly an Aeronca 7AC and have offered it to other pilots but surprisingly none have taken me up on the offer. I was upset when I posted, (should not do that!!), and trying to point out that the FAA position is all based on compensation. If you are not compensated past 50% of direct cost they don't care. I have talked to some RV builders in Cheboygan MI. that could not get any stick time in other RV's here in northern MI. The stated reason was it is not allowed, it may be with their insurance but it would not be an FAA reg. issue. I'm not saying instructors should work for free, I'm saying that to get some familiarity flights the aircraft does not have to be an S-LSA, or T.C.'d, or even an E-AB with a waiver for instruction. It takes an owner/pilot willing to put up their aircraft and time to help with the safety of us all. If you come to northern MI, ask at GLR for me, right now we still have snow but I can put the skis back on the Champ. There are likely some "two seat ultralight" type E-LSA's around that could be used for non-paid training for ultralight transition, they will be hard to find as the owners will not be "instructors", but good luck. Greg
    Thanks Greg for your gracious offer. I'm interested in a 2 seat open ultralight type. There are a few ultralight strips in my areas within 200 miles and I haven't been actively seeking a ride at those places, otherwise I'm sure I can find one. Your post was interesting because you offered and if we were closer and if you had a 2 seater, I would certainly contact you and discuss getting some stick time.

I'm not an ultralight guy, so not familiar with all the details of the FAR 103, but as applied to SLSA. ELSA, and E-AB, or certificated aircraft that fall within the LSA restrictions, I don't think I would blame the aircraft owners for the problem. Off hand, I would not blame the ultralight owners either. I suppose most paid their way and purchased their aircraft for their use, not to loan out for others. There are a lot of things that could get sideways when taking someone for a ride, familiarization flight, or informal instructions. Some may be linked to the FAR's, but for sure they are all linked to civil liabilities.

So, if an owner of an ultralight or any other aircraft wants it to sit in their hangar and not share, I understand, respect, and have absolutely no issue with their decision.

On the other hand, when I have an aircraft (I'm currently without ownership), I'm also one of those guys that find it difficult to resist offering rides and "how-to's" to others regardless of their flying level, from never been in a small plane, to the million hour big iron captains. If I have an open seat, without having a specific mission otherwise, it is open for just about anyone willing to show an interest.

Although I understand the issues for which airports have pretty much been surrounded by security, all those fences sure have reduced the access for those interested, making it more difficult for casual contact for no-flyers to contact pilots. Apologies to the OP, as pretty much none of this post helps or reflects on the original post.

Best Regards.......George
    George Dean
    CP-ASMEL/I, S-6ES
    EAA, APA, & AOPA member

Quote Originally Posted by brian982 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm curious if there is an ultralight instructor in SW Missouri/the Ozarks? I took a few regular lessons in a Cessna years ago and I'm ready to buy an ultralight and seek training. The closest I could find via Google was Bob Ackerman in Columbia but didn't know if there was someone closer to Springfield, MO. Thanks!

Brian
    I am not in Missouri or the Ozarks so I did not respond earlier. However the complaints about lack of UL instruction is getting to me. As a qualified instructor I am aviable to work with students and have traveled from WA to FL and ME to instruct stdents that are serious about learning. There are hurdles to overcome but this is doable if you are serious. Right now I am looking for serious students in the Seattle area to work with in GA aircraft. I expect to be in TN when the equipment is ready.

Send contact information and a discription of your needs and goals to GrantSmith@USA.com if you really want to fly safely. If you are looking to purchase an aircraft, I may be able to help with that also.

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    I am not in Missouri or the Ozarks so I did not respond earlier. However the complaints about lack of UL instruction is getting to me. As a qualified instructor I am aviable to work with students and have traveled from WA to FL and ME to instruct stdents that are serious about learning. There are hurdles to overcome but this is doable if you are serious. Right now I am looking for serious students in the Seattle area to work with in GA aircraft. I expect to be in TN when the equipment is ready.

Send contact information and a discription of your needs and goals to GrantSmith@USA.com if you really want to fly safely. If you are looking to purchase an aircraft, I may be able to help with that also.
    Grant, I'm personally not interested in UL pilot instruction, other than an introduction flight perhaps, but I am curious. If you don't mind, from your experience and background, is there an average range of hours you train Ultralight pilots, whom have no flying experience? Thank You.

Best Regards......George
    George Dean
    CP-ASMEL/I, S-6ES
    EAA, APA, & AOPA member