Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New here, looking for training

CGS Hawk in Kansas City

This looks like a nice aircraft but I do not see any N number and I'' bet that it is over the weight limit by at least 20 to 30 pounds. This can and should have a big effect on the price. I can not tell from the photo of the boom about the dent. What I think I saw was substancial.

Even a nose wheel airplane can be run off the runway by an untrained pilot.

Have the airplane weighed before you buy it if it is not N numbered with an airworthyness certificate or unless the owner has a valid weight and balance form showing a legal empty weight!

I could not find the FP-606 but the same weight warning applies.
    Last edited by jedi; 04-14-2014 at 11:45 PM.

Brian, for clarity about the FAA cracking down--- this statement was about cracking down on 2-seat trainers. The UL's that are 103 conforming are still leagal to own & fly. You just can't get trained for them. Encouraging to read the post about a few companies working towards ESLA machines for this purpose.

Russel Green

There was to be a pathway to training in 2 seat formally "UL trainers" now experimental light sport (ELSA) by way of a LODA - for some vague and unexplained reason this process was delayed (for years). In the mean time those schools that offered training in UL type aircraft being unable to get a LODA got tired and either went away or were forced into buying SLSA that were not equivalent to UL flight operations leaving the UL world (US) pretty orphaned. I am noting that national is giving the UL world more ink and interest of late.

It's good to see this subject is still alive. All it takes is the will to endure the frustration. And take up on the offers to help, and one can reach the goal of flight. I am a prime example of that dream. I found the help here and I fly a 103 UL of my own design. I can only say if not for the few that did extend the hand .I may have failed. Thank you to one posthumously.He died flying his own experimental, nothing to do with mine. And the other that picked up the ball And saw me to the end.
    If you want it badly enough you will find the way don't Waite for the FAA to fix things.
    What is available is not agreed on by all. Be safe but listen not to those that only offer opinion.
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 04-26-2014 at 01:21 PM. Reason: clerification

Hello, all. I recently began a search for UL training, here in central Ohio, I began with the EAA chapters in my area, and got no further with the groups than meetings, and most pointed me toward the Light Sport area, or did know of any UL pilots. Since most clubs around here focus on standard GA aircraft. I was given a name of a local EAA Award Winner for an Ultra light Design several years ago. This led me to a private / hidden in plain sight UL club, in my area. I found about 14 pilots and various UL birds. I have found people sympathetic to the UL instructor problem, this local group has been doing their own sharing of flight instruction, there is available a 2 seat bird for UL help. This helps the group share duties as instruction / introduction flights to help those of us that want to get at least some help, instead of dead cold hit the throttle and go for it. It is a sad state when this great form of personal flight was hamstringed by buracrats that only see our sport as a possible cash cow that GA is now. most of us cannot afford a nice shiny new $15,000 bird. so we build, and learn all we can to be as safe as possible. I read above the (scared to death about liability issues, and know first hand about this) I have a friend with a perfectly good Kit fox 3 /4 that he will never put back together but wont sell or give it away, for fear of any Liability, what a waste of a perfect aircraft, complete all it needs is the fuse re-covered and inspected (n number is out of date)

Quote Originally Posted by flyrgreen View Post
    Brian, for clarity about the FAA cracking down--- this statement was about cracking down on 2-seat trainers. The UL's that are 103 conforming are still leagal to own & fly. You just can't get trained for them. Encouraging to read the post about a few companies working towards ESLA machines for this purpose.

Russel Green
    Yes, you can get training. Ask me how with with specific details of what you need or are looking for. GrantSmith@usa.com. No spam please.