Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Medical Certification Headway

35 years ago Oklahoma had over 200 MEs
    now we have less than 30
    with the requirements the feds are putting on them (having to go to OKC for training) its going to be very hard to find one in the future
    Kevin

As I wrote I don't think that the amount a doctor charges for an FAA medical exam is the most relevant part of this question, but here the only FAA cert ame in town charges $335. The annual physical that I do with my regular doctor who is not an ame is $440, and I think a bargain at that price.
    The man who was my FAA doctor for 30years just retired. I also have my regular doctor who is not an ame. I asked him if he considered becoming an ame and he said he would have to go to Ok City for the week of training and he was just too busy to do that.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 04-10-2014 at 03:06 PM.

I must say, I find the reverence with which y'all speak of AMEs to be mildly disturbing.

Doing 3rd class medicals for pilots is a make-work business for doctors who are looking to make a quick and easy, government-mandated buck. In three different states I have yet to find one that accepts anything other than cold, hard cash for these exams -- which reveals a thing or two about their true motives.

My current AME is a very nice gentleman, and a pilot to boot, but I have no preconceived notions about his motives. He's doing flight physicals to keep avgas in his tanks, and I, for one, am tired of paying for it.

We would do well to think clearly about what is at stake here, and the profit motive behind the system. Anyone who is surprised that AMEs would oppose the elimination of the 3rd class medical is not seeing the issue as it truly is.

My last 2nd class medical 6 months ago was $150.00. The AME charges $125.00 for 3rd class. Neither the staff or the AME took any shortcuts. At that price he isn't getting rich, and it may only be just enough to off-set expenses.

Best Regards.......George
    George Dean
    CP-ASMEL/I, S-6ES
    EAA, APA, & AOPA member
    KTYL/KGEU, EAA White Mountain Chapter 586 - Show Low Regional KSOW
    "If you go down, go down standing up"

An AME who is against this has only his checkbook in mind.

We are talking about a third class medical, not a pilot flying an Airbus full of passengers.

We can expect the AME community to fight this tooth and nail. According to this GAO report on the FAA medical process, the Third Class Medical is over 60% of AME business.

I don't think anyone is arguing about a $150 charge for the third class exam. It gets down to basically paying for something most of us already do on a regular basis. There was a time when I would get a yearly scheduled physical from my regular doctor (who also happened to be a ME), a school bus drivers physical ( should probably also include a 'mental' with that one) and my third class medical. At times I was able to combine one or the other but the clinic usually charged anyway. Now that I fly light sport a third class is not required and I have to decide whether or not I'm 'fit to fly'. Really isn't that complicated. All I'd like to do is possibly move up at some time to an aircraft that exceeds the 1320# GW and is a bit more weather and crosswind friendly than a Champ, Chief, Taylorcraft, etc.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

TedK, I read the GAO report but didn't see the part you are talking about. In thinking some more on it, I don't think it would say that doctors who are ame s get 60% of their revenue from 3rd class medicals. That would be astounding if true. What I guess the report likely said was that of all the medicals done, 3rd class is 60%.
    Is that what the GAO says and what you meant?
    Thanks