View Poll Results: Which design do you like best for our "One Week Wonder" CH 750 Cruzer?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Design #1

6 10.17%
  • Design #2

8 13.56%
  • Design #3

10 16.95%
  • Design #4

8 13.56%
  • Design #5

3 5.08%
  • Design #6

5 8.47%
  • Design #7

6 10.17%
  • Design #8

3 5.08%
  • Design #9

8 13.56%
  • Design #10

2 3.39%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Week Wonder: Help pick the paint!

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar

One Week Wonder: Help pick the paint!

As most of you probably know, we're building a "One Week Wonder", a CH 750 Cruzer at AirVenture Oshkosh this year. Some friends at Scheme Designers, Inc., came up with 10 ideas for the paint job, and we'd like you to help us pick which one to use based on the pictures posted below. We'll look at the results here as well as the results from a similar poll on our Facebook page, then post the top 3 at the build site during Oshkosh where we'll ask visitors to vote on the final design.

Name:  1-1.jpg
Views: 1774
Size:  58.8 KB
    Design #1:
    Name:  2-1.jpg
Views: 1635
Size:  59.4 KB
    Design #2
    Name:  3-1.jpg
Views: 1833
Size:  61.7 KB
    Design #3
    Name:  4-1.jpg
Views: 1760
Size:  63.9 KB
    Design #4
    Name:  5-1.jpg
Views: 1311
Size:  57.0 KB
    Design #5
    Name:  6-1.jpg
Views: 1453
Size:  58.6 KB
    Design #6
    Name:  7-1.jpg
Views: 1349
Size:  63.6 KB
    Design #7
    Name:  8-1.jpg
Views: 1595
Size:  60.1 KB
    Design #8
    Name:  9-1.jpg
Views: 1483
Size:  59.9 KB
    Design #9
    Name:  10-1.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  61.0 KB
    Design #10

Last edited by Hal Bryan; 04-01-2014 at 07:31 AM.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Hal, what the heck? It looks like the good old mustard yellow and burrito brown didn't even get a fair chance.

Hal, to be serious for just a moment, and I promise not to make it a habit, one negative about # 2, 3 ,or 7, is that the pilots would be looking out over a bright shiny red nose and that might add glare or be a distraction.
    That's why I voted for 6. My Bonanza has a grey panel on the top engine cowling from the factory and I assume that is the reason. You guys might want to put a sheet of bright red paper, even Christmas wrapping paper over the nose and sit in the cockpit and see what the affect is in sunlight.
    My other plane is green/grey British camoflage in a semi gloss or satin finish and doesn't distract at all when looking out the front.
    On 2nd look, I like #1 also. All of them seem ok, except not grey, #5.If it is going to be a trainer in busy or congested airspace the red might stand out a bit.
    Good luck,Bill
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 04-02-2014 at 09:44 PM.

A couple of thoughts. I'm presuming the schemes chosen continue on the wings.

#5 and #7 are pretty, but bad ideas in a VFR environment. The overall grey/bronze/whatever will blend with the ground, making it MUCH harder to see. We've got a grey-painted somethingorother at my home drome, and trying to spot him on base/final from downwind is almost impossible.

#7, while not a solid color, will give the same effect from a few hundreds of feet away. It also breaks up the outline of the plane (similar to the WWII splinter camouflage on ships) and makes it harder for the brain recognize what it's seeing.

Bill's comments about reducing glare when viewing forward is a good one. Depends on the plane design, but I think the pilot sits pretty tall in the saddle on a 750; consider a matte section in front of the cabin.

Ron Wanttaja

Next to the picture of option #4 on the FB page is a patriotic design that I like better than any of the given options.

I vote for number 3. The designs with white on the cowl will have even higher reflectivity than the red cowl of number 3. There's a reason why the big solar observatories (McMath-Pierce Solar Telescope , Big Bear Solar Observatory, and the Sacramento Peak Dunn Solar Telescope) are panted white. Its to reflect as much as possible of the incident sunlight.

A matte finish, regardless of the color, will help, since it will reduce specular reflection and, thus, the radiant exitance seen by the pilot.
    Bill

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Bill's comments about reducing glare when viewing forward is a good one. Depends on the plane design, but I think the pilot sits pretty tall in the saddle on a 750; consider a matte section in front of the cabin.

Ron Wanttaja
    Typical solution to improve forward visibility without sacrificing design colour choices is to purchase a Glareshield which would replace the covering found on the fascia above the panel. They're usually made of lexan and padded with a soundproofing foam and then covered with a a material like leather-looking non-glare vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by BeagleOne View Post
    Next to the picture of option #4 on the FB page is a patriotic design that I like better than any of the given options.
    +1

Hal there are two Cessnas on our ramp with the scheme like #3, one in red/white and one in blue/white and they both look good.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    But no yellow and brown Bill? Keep looking...!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation