Thread: VAC First Timer

Question VAC First Timer

I am planning to attend Oshkosh this year with my new-to-me 1946 Aeronca 7AC Champ. I would like to park in VAC but the Airventure website creates more questions than answers.

1. The website says that people parking in the North 40 will be charged daily parking of $25 with a three day minimum but nothing about VAC parking charges. Am I right to assume the charges are the same? I am not camping with my airplane (a friend is bringing an RV) but it seems parking and camping rates are the same.

2. My airplane is vintage and I'd like to be with other vintage planes but it's not a restored 'showplane'. The website seems to indicate that to park anywhere other than the North 40 you have to participate in judging. Is this right?

Thanks for any help you can offer. See you in a few weeks!

Brandon

Brandon;

No charge to park anywhere. Only fee is if you're camping, either in Scholler or with a plane. YOU will not have to pay; your RV buddy will.

There's vintage parking and show plane parking. You are allowed to park in vintage without having to be judged.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Carl is right.

As far as Vintage is concerned, showplane just means that it's ELIGIBLE to be judged. You don't have to actually ask for it to be judged if you don't want to. If your plane was built before December 31, 1970 it can park/camp in vintage. There's no special "I want to be judged" area. When you register you tell the nice people there that you want to be judged and they give you a special sticker for your prop card that alerts the judges (I suspect they also make a computerized list these days). There's no charge to park. The fee is only to camp and it's the same everywhere (North 40, Homebuilt, Vintage, Scholler ...other than the hookup spots...). Make sure you have a VAP (for parking) or VAC (for camping) sign as appropriate to what you want to do. Make sure we can see it while we're standing there on the taxiway. We have distinct areas for parking and camping as well as a special area for antiques (meaning built before the end of 1945...you just miss) in the first few rows south of the Theatre In the Woods.

I was typing on a phone earlier, so just wanted to get the relevant information out.

You said your buddy's in an RV, but you didn't mention if it had 3 wheels or 4 ;-) If 3 (regardless of whether the single wheel is in front or back), y'all can camp in Homebuilt (HBC) or North 40 (GAC). There are some who do that, just to be near friends. If 4 wheels, well, then, you have your pick of spots in Scholler. No window signs needed.

You'll have a blast!

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Thank you guys that solves it! Looking forward to it! Now to start my good weather dance....

Most answers are somewhere on the EAA Airventure website, or in the fly-in Notam, look both over a bit. Come have a great time.

Just keeping fingers crossed for favorable weather, it makes camping more tolerable to wake to nice sunny skies.