Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camp Scholler Tent Camping

Camp Scholler Tent Camping

Hi, I was hoping to get some info I have been unable to glean from this forum or other sources. I have been to Airventure twice before. Once stayed in a hotel in Fond DuLac, and then in a cabin at Sleepy Hollow. Definitely liked being closer. This year I hope to camp at Scholler.
    Most of information I have found talks about getting there super early or showing up late to get a good spot. I am flying in (commercial) from Calif, so I will be getting in late evening after rental car & buying some tent camping stuff. Don't really want to be next the Highway. Airplane noise @ 6am = OK, Truck Noise @ 1am = No sleep. Don't need to be close to the Paul Woods, just not next to the highway, and not next to the 24 hour generator camping. My wife and 2 kids (9 & 7) will be joining me on Wednesday evening as the end point of their month + long cross country road trip.
    What I really want to know is where will I likely end up camping if I arrive on the Saturday evening before? Would U of Wis dorm rooms be a better move (have some reserved w/o AC)? Do I try tent camping at Sleepy Hollow (also first come first serve) which could be considerably closer & shadier?
    Thanks for the help
    Rob

The 1st thing I will ask is, does your family have much experience tent camping? Since you may be buying some(most) of your gear a few of the better comforts may be lacking. Even when driving a pickup truck full of gear tent camping has it's challenges.

How about you camp solo the 1st handful of days, then move into better digs once the wife & kids show up? There will be openings somewhere later in the week. You can get your fill of every hour at the show, then back off a tad & make the experience enjoyable for them.

This may be somewhat moot if you family is well versed in tent camping. Just saying it takes effort keeping the spirits up in a soggy tent.

Hey RobW, If you show up on Saturday you should be able to find a spot in the mid forties block or so. If your family hasn't tent camped before you will need to be PREPARED! If your lucky try and find a tree it will help with shade, picnic tables will be hard to get..... but you might get lucky. As a former Scoutmaster may I suggest that you get a decent tent with a ground cloth to keep moisture from coming through the bottom when it rains(and it will). If it doesn't come with a ground cloth sheet plastic works well( just tuck the edges under the tent to keep it from pooling water underneath the tent).You will need Rain repellant, Bug repellant or citronella candles, sleeping mats or thermal rests, pillows, sleeping bags, towels, battery powered lights. etc,etc. You can get your supplies at home and ship them by UPS to a UPS store in the OSH or APW area. As for shipping your clothes, pillows, sleeping bags and stuff use vacuum pack bags (which you can get at Walmart/Target stores)to save room in your box. There is a web sight you can go to that will help www.familytentcamping.com. I might suggest you use www.amazon.com to buy equipment as it will save you money.
    Feel free to PM me if I can be of further assistance.
    Last edited by MNWORD; 04-01-2014 at 05:54 AM.

Rob. PM me if I can be of any assistance. I'll be in Sleepy Hollow with my motorhome AND car from Friday the 25th through Aug the 2nd.

All,

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. We, as a family, are quite versed at tent camping. Though I should put a qualifier on that statement and say 'California' tent camping. We don't have much rain or humidity during the summer camping season, or bugs for that matter. The high sierras for a week, with 40 degree nights, 70 degree days and low humidity is not Wisconsin. So bug repellent and plastic ground cloths will be added to the list. I might add that my Wife and Kids will be tent camping intermittently along the way from California (Bryce & Zion and ....). So when they arrive most of our real camping gear will arrive. They just don't have the desire for 5 days of Airventure (though next year my son maybe up for it, especially if we fly in).

The point about shipping stuff is a good idea, as anything I ship out, I can stick in the car with the wife and kids for a return trip. I was under the impression that Airventure had a ship too site, besides using the typical UPS store. I was hoping to send out a bike as well.

If I end up any where east of 10th, I should be happy. Anything East of Doolittle and I would be estatic! To Honest 101 woods is my spot of choice, due to having more trees.

I may take folks up on the assistance once I arrive. Sleepy Hollow was quite nice the last time I stayed, and their tent sites have lots of shade.

After the airventure, we are headed up to Fish Creek in Door county for some relaxation. We love that area and go there every time we make it out as far as Wisconsin, though we do stay in a hotel.

Thanks
    Rob

There are plenty of great campsites available in Camp Scholler. But like most things in life, the cost to obtain one, may not equal the value you place on it.

You can reserve a spot starting June 27, but you have to pay the daily rate from that day until you leave. Plenty of good spots available then!

You would be surprised of the number of folks that show up that early to reserve a spot. Although many have grandfathered agreements that get the fees reduced or waived.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Oshkosh usually has an on-site site for receiving packages; the details for 2014 are not yet posted on the AV website.

You mentioned having a bike. Instead of shipping a bike or having one take up space in your car, consider buying a bike (low prices!) at the Goodwill store right across the street from the field. Then donate it back to them at the end of your stay. I think they bring in bikes from the entire upper Midwest for the show!

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Hello Bob, Have you considered the campsite over by the ultralight barn? It is privately ran by the Staudtmuller family and is a very nice area. No showers on site, but they do have portapotties and wash areas. And usually no problem finding a spot to camp. This year they will be charging $15 a night. No limit on number of nights either. Some people seem to shy away from there, because it is not EAA, but they have been very nice and it is close to the action.. The entrance to it is located at the junction of Waupun road and Knapp St. Check it out on Google Earth.. Just a suggestion. Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by orvie6 View Post
    Hello Bob, Have you considered the campsite over by the ultralight barn? It is privately ran by the Staudtmuller family and is a very nice area. No showers on site, but they do have portapotties and wash areas. And usually no problem finding a spot to camp. This year they will be charging $15 a night. No limit on number of nights either. Some people seem to shy away from there, because it is not EAA, but they have been very nice and it is close to the action.. The entrance to it is located at the junction of Waupun road and Knapp St. Check it out on Google Earth.. Just a suggestion. Wayne
    You opened pandora's box. My experience camping near there on the EAA side of the fence, is that they don't provide adequate resources for restrooms or showers. In past years, folks have torn down the EAA fence between the properties, then use the facilities on the other side of the fence in Scholler.

For those of use that paid the EAA the additional fees so that we can have adequate facilities feel imposed upon due to the additional traffic, door slamming, mess, etc that accompanies those visits. There is another set of folks that feel that it's their right to use those facilities since they are EAA members and paid their weekly admission fee to Airventure. There is probably no way you are going to get either party to see the other's view.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Quote Originally Posted by orvie6 View Post
    While I have not stayed here, my good friend Alan always parks his 40 foot motorhome at Staudmullers...we visit him often...and with the costs continuing to rise I may decide to switch loyalties to my wallet and join him...actually beat him there...being self contained I can live without the Scholler amenities ...did I just commit treason???

Regards