Thread: OSH Paved Taxing......

Goggles OSH Paved Taxing......

Hi all

This year will be my first time flying to AirVenture. I have a reserved paved parking at Basler FBO and would be hoping for taxi instructions on paved surface due to low profile Cirrus wheel pants.

I am hoping for any advice on how to maximize my chances of requesting/getting that in order to avoid getting stuck on grass...

Thanks
    Alex

Alex,
    Great that you are planning to fly to AirVenture this year!
    If you need (as opposed to just want) to taxi only on hard surfaces, you should be sure to tell the ATC controller while you are on downwind (or base). Otherwise they will be expecting you to exit the runway into the grass. They may need to plan for extra spacing to accommodate your longer time on the landing runway to reach a paved taxiway. Then when you are on the taxiway, your FBO sign is likely all you will need. But you may want to have another sign saying HARD SURFACE. Ground volunteers will handle your requests when you arrive and depart, although it may take you somewhat longer.
    -Fred Stadler
    AirVenture NOTAM volunteer chairman

Thanks Fred

Yes, I plan to have a sign showing FBO and Paved Surface request. Good tip about letting them know where I will be parking so they can space things up.

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by cirruspilot View Post
    Hi all

This year will be my first time flying to AirVenture. I have a reserved paved parking at Basler FBO and would be hoping for taxi instructions on paved surface due to low profile Cirrus wheel pants.

I am hoping for any advice on how to maximize my chances of requesting/getting that in order to avoid getting stuck on grass...

Thanks
    Alex
    Alex,

I understand your concern, but I don't believe the clearance on the Cirrus wheel pants are significantly different than most RVs. Most grass areas that are flat shouldn't pose a problem. There are some dips along the 18/36 taxiways that have been known to eat an aircraft or two. Usually somebody going too fast or not paying attention. The folks in HBP do a pretty good job at marking the problem areas for you to avoid. I can't speak to the north forty, since I've not parked there.

bob
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

We've camped in the North 40 for years. 2013 was our first year with the RV-8A, with low profile wheelpants similar to the Cirrus.

I was worried about the tall grass (they had surprisingly not mowed it recently), but the RV handled it fine.

If you end up in the grass in a Cirrus you shouldn't have any trouble at all. There are hundreds of them camped in the grass each year.

We send Cirri up the "ditch" all the time and nobody's complained yet. One did taxi by me with the doors open and I had to chase him down and return his parachute handle cover.