Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying land to build house and runway question

The FAA won't interfere ever. All you do is file the notice to construct and they'll eventually come back and tell you what they think of your idea, but it's not binding on you. The worst thing they'll do is mark it OBJECTIONABLE and refuse to "help" you further.

We get the blackhawks at our field as well. It's nice and dark at night. Sometimes I go out and wave at them as they make their hover passes. It was actually the first day I was in the new house sitting in my office and had one shoot by at eye level that reminded me why I live on the airpark.

We were concerned about a new $2MM house that went up on an island off the end of our runway (from the opposite end it looks like his house is right a tthe end of the runway). We've invited him over a few times and he really likes planes. There's not much traffic from our field anyhow. The jetskis on the lake make more noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook View Post
    So, my advice would be to be very open and congenial to neighbors as they can, if 'connected', cause heart-burn. I'd say you include them in the plans from the beginning. Just a thought.
    This is an excellent thought and I agree. Neighbors can shut you down before starting, before completion, and afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goggles View Post
    Hearing stories of states with all these regulations and obstacles makes my head hurt, and make me sad.

I know of several grass strips here in Oklahoma, but haven't heard any stories of trouble or obstacles. I think it's as simple as mowing the grass and then landing in the pasture.
    I'm sure there are many private strips in Arizona which aren't marked or approved, as well. If we land on a road, the Department of Transportation has the authority and they don't like road landings. If you land in a field it's between you and the land owner/operator. If you grade a strip on private land, neither the AZDOT (if farther than 70 NM of congested development) or FAA care if for temporary service. Now the county I reside in does have regulations requiring a Special Issue Use Permit. Al of which protect the strip owner from being shut down without a court battle.

On the other hand, many are so far out, rather than ask, they just do it. If no one complains, no one cares. If what they do is safe and doesn't interfere with anyone else, more power to them.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    The FAA won't interfere ever. All you do is file the notice to construct and they'll eventually come back and tell you what they think of your idea, but it's not binding on you. The worst thing they'll do is mark it OBJECTIONABLE and refuse to "help" you further.
    In my county, it may be similar in other jurisdictions, the Special Issue Use Permit is not accepted until the applicant includes approval from the AZDOT (if within their jurisdiction), and a favorable from the FAA.

Best Regards........George
    George Dean
    CP-ASMEL/I, S-6ES
    EAA, APA, & AOPA member
    KTYL/KGEU, EAA White Mountain Chapter 586 - Show Low Regional KSOW
    "If you go down, go down standing up"