Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CAD drawing or 3D solid works model of Lycoming IO-540

CAD drawing or 3D solid works model of Lycoming IO-540

Hello everyone. I am looking for CAD drawings or 3D model of a Lycoming IO-540 engine. This is to be used for evaluating the installation of the engine on an aircraft that had a different engine installed originally. I am sure that someone out there has done this. I thought I would ask around before putting the time and effort into doing it. I would be willing to pay a reasonable amount in order to compensate someone for the effort.

Have you checked with Lycoming? Many engine manufacturers will provide a general drawing to vehicle developers showing the basic outline, mounting points, & critical control locations. I used to work for a large diesel engine manufacturer & they did this.

Hi there,
    Unfortunately I do not have a CAD drawing of a Lycoming IO-540, but I would like to get one too. Any information regarding the engine mount type, or better a copy of a Lycoming "installation" drawing will be highly appreciated. I am looking forward to design an airplane with AEIO-540 L1B5D and actually built several 3D parts of it in Rhino, but the model is far from complete.
    It may not be relevant in this thread, however I can offer a Rhino model of a Lycoming O-320 E2D that I built and used it to design the firewall forward layout of my previous project. I mean, it is good enough to verify your cowlings, baffles, ducting, engine mount, exhaust and engine controls routing.
    Cheers,

Name:  motoretka1.jpg
Views: 22295
Size:  71.7 KBName:  motoretka2.jpg
Views: 14229
Size:  55.9 KB

Hi Sasho
    I would appreciate it if i could get a copy of the o-320 CAD model. Is it possible to save it in STL format or STEP formsat for use in Solidworks?
    Thanks
    Tommie
    My e-mail: tbp@lwmontana.co.za

I created a SolidWorks model of a 0-540 I can send you for $10
    Last edited by EzBrit; 11-03-2011 at 07:12 PM.

EzBrit, could you post a few renders of your O-540 model. What references did you use to verify that the model is true?

With best regards,

Sasho;

I constructed this model from information contained in the IO-540-E1A5 Lycoming installation drawing. The model was built to ensure the correct location and clearances within my airframe prototype. The location of the outside surfaces, attachment points and CG are believed to be accurate. The Sump to Cylinder head Intake Tubes have been changed and the alternator has been moved to permit reduction of the cowling size in those regions. I would suggest checking the location of any points that might create clearance problems in your application. The model is in SolidWorks 2008 or 9 and is 47Megs.

Ian.

Name:  PV360-7k.jpg
Views: 10766
Size:  19.4 KB

Name:  PV360-15a.jpg
Views: 12382
Size:  90.4 KB

I would like to get a copy of your lycoming 320 model. Can you post one in parasolid, igs, ?

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Sasho View Post
    Hi there,
    Unfortunately I do not have a CAD drawing of a Lycoming IO-540, but I would like to get one too. Any information regarding the engine mount type, or better a copy of a Lycoming "installation" drawing will be highly appreciated. I am looking forward to design an airplane with AEIO-540 L1B5D and actually built several 3D parts of it in Rhino, but the model is far from complete.
    It may not be relevant in this thread, however I can offer a Rhino model of a Lycoming O-320 E2D that I built and used it to design the firewall forward layout of my previous project. I mean, it is good enough to verify your cowlings, baffles, ducting, engine mount, exhaust and engine controls routing.
    Cheers,

Name:  motoretka1.jpg
Views: 22295
Size:  71.7 KBName:  motoretka2.jpg
Views: 14229
Size:  55.9 KB

I will buy it off you! I will pay for a CD postage as well. It is for a helicopter I am designing in solidworks entirely for fun, but I need to know its size and the engine mountings so this is just perfect. I have PM'd you for payment details.

This is great could you please share it with me ? Thank you. Wanna design a cowling for it....