Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the Definition of Vintage going to be 20 years old?

Is the Definition of Vintage going to be 20 years old?

The new Small Aircraft Revitalization Act, which is now Law, is likely to create a new category where owners can take a certificated aircraft older than 20 years and essentially turn it into an Experimental. This proposed new category is called Primary Non-Commercial Aircraft catagory.

What is Vintage doing to embrace this?

See my post in the Hangar Talk forum at http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?...erimental-quot

Embrace what? I'm sure many are all for the new category. But if you're asking if they're going to let you park in vintage with an 1993 aircraft? Ain't no way.
    20 years is just some regulation. 18 years for the statute of repose didn't make any difference. The EAA has crept forward the judging eligibility on contemporary classic slowly (in 92 when I joined it was 1965, now it's 1970).

Quote Originally Posted by TedK View Post
    The new Small Aircraft Revitalization Act, which is now Law, is likely to create a new category where owners can take a certificated aircraft older than 20 years and essentially turn it into an Experimental. This proposed new category is called Primary Non-Commercial Aircraft catagory.

What is Vintage doing to embrace this?

See my post in the Hangar Talk forum at http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?...erimental-quot
    What does one have to do with the other?
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529
    Stinson 108-1 "Big Red", RV-7 under construction

Gentlemen- I'm not proposing an early pass to park in Vintage Parking, but I think this is a proposal that VAA should embrace and endorse. It will help owners to maintain their aircraft as they age, revitalize the value of middle age factory produced aircraft, and provide latitude to owners to modify and maintain.

If not Vintage, then who?

You still haven't answered - what does embracing (or not) this new proposal have to do with the definition of Vintage being 20 years old?
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529
    Stinson 108-1 "Big Red", RV-7 under construction

I would not buy a plane that has been maintained by someone without credentials. I would not convert my plane to the proposed certification. Might save money short term but resale is likely to suffer. Can't see how this would affect how Vintage would categorize planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stadt View Post
    I would not buy a plane that has been maintained by someone without credentials. I would not convert my plane to the proposed certification. Might save money short term but resale is likely to suffer. Can't see how this would affect how Vintage would categorize planes.
    The Study considered that situation. Unlike an E-AB, but like LSA, an owner would be required to train and obtain a Repairmans Certificatw to do anything beyond what they can do today.

Further, with the idea of long term resale, the study recommendations would permit you to reconvert a PNC back to Normal Category by removal of non PMA/TSO mods, and a regular ANNUAL by an IA.

VAA should be interested in these airplanes because they are going to be Vintage Airplanes at some point. I am a Vintage member, and although my airplane is not yet eligible for Vintage parking, it sports a VAA decal, and will be a Vintage airplane in 2016, so expect my PNC airplane to show up in Vintage parking in 2016.

But, this isn't about stealing parking spots, it is about life, safety and modifications on mid-life airplanes. Isn't that what Vintage is about?
    Last edited by TedK; 03-22-2014 at 02:06 PM.

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    I just wonder when my 68 year old airplanes will be antiques? Technically, my Cub is since it was designed before World War II. My Swift, actually a few months older is considered a classic. Funny, back in the 50s, a 25 year old airplane was an antique but today, a 68 year old plane is not.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

As far as judging criteria, I doubt that will ever change (and to my knowledge it hasn't). WWII and earlier will remain it's own category. Frankly, if they do jump ahead by a decade or so on the recent end of eligibility I would think it would be better to make a fourth category. Again the vintage "eligibility" are all judging categories so don't expect them to bollix up the natural historical divisions.

While you can seek to define Vintage as the "old aircraft club," I'm not sure that's how the EAA sees it.

Ted,

VAA as well as EAA are very much in support of the Small Aircraft Revitalization Act, and actively worked for its passage. Right now the FAA feels that this is a Part 23 issue and does not extend to Part 21. Meaning that this only applies to new production aircraft, but it does allow operators of vintage aircraft to install AOAs, autopilots, and the like in their aircraft. Expanding this policy to include vintage aircraft is a high priority for EAA and VAA Government Advocacy. We are currently working to get this hangup in the legislation resolved and make SARA much more useful to those operating vintage aircraft.

-Max Platts
    VAA Administrator