Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: We reached a settlement agreement with the FAA re: ATC fees for AirVenture

How much did EAA agree to pay for (tax-payer previously paid) employees to come to OSH?

I really don't believe canceling AV to make a statement to the Feds would do any good and the cancelation would still hurt GA.

I agree EAA has become too Corporate and the "settlement" is wrong. Just recently I decided to become a lifetime member. But now, I think I'll just wing it yearly and see what happens. So sad indeed....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
    I really don't believe canceling AV to make a statement to the Feds would do any good and the cancelation would still hurt GA.
    What statement would/could be made? We're taking our ball and going home? The FAA would care? Why? You're right, cutting off your nose to spite your face is just a dumb, dumb strategy.....and besides it hurts.

I agree that it would hurt GA right now but can we afford this short term gain for a long term loss? At some point we have to realize that progress isn't always painless.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedK View Post
    If the criteria was to keep Airventure open, they won their battle.

EAA seems to think Keeping Airventure is with any price. We had this discussion last year when the FAA demanded payment for Airventure. EAA placed keeping Airventure going over Principle then, indicated they were taking the ethical high ground by going to court, and then once again, folded like a cheap card table.

Now the real question is, how do we win the war?
    That depends on which "war" EAA thinks they are fighting, the Oshkosh war or the bigger User Fee war? EAA can't see that Oshkosh is not a war but just a battleground within the much bigger User Fee war, something this administration clearly understands. That is why they first pressured the smaller air shows (Sun-N-Fun, Copperstate) until one of them caved which gave them better leverage over EAA and Oshkosh. Get the lower hanging fruit first then, when they are in line, you go for the big guys until you subdue them all. Typical divide and conquer strategy. Oshkosh is about making $$$ for EAA not about representing experimenters and our desires. The administration understood this and manipulated the process beautifully.
    Last edited by Puertoricoflyer; 03-23-2014 at 03:55 PM.
    Galin
    KIS4 - N819PR
    CP, ASEL, AMEL, IR
    http://www.puertoricoflyer.com

Just recently I decided to become a lifetime member. But now, I think I'll just wing it yearly and see what happens. So sad indeed....
    The problem with the lifetime membership is you can't quit......
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    What statement would/could be made? We're taking our ball and going home? The FAA would care? Why? You're right, cutting off your nose to spite your face is just a dumb, dumb strategy.....and besides it hurts.
    I disagree, If Oshkosh was canceled this year when all the money that would be spent in the surrounding areas failed to appear as a result of the FAA trying to rob us just how much hell would be raised by the business community and ultimately by their congress person. How many dollars would go elsewhere as a result, millions perhaps when you consider that every dollar we spend in the hotels, restaraunts, bars, stores and many other places gets spent many times over by employess and business owners within the surrounding area. My guess is we would not have this problem next year as congress would be forced to act to reign in the FAA as a result of the public outcry. It would certainly strenghten our position and at the least increase our bargaining power. There is no down side for the EAA except for the loss of revenue, which is where this decision came from. I stll say stand and fight , raise my dues to offset the loss of income. Have we not seen this before ???, Wakeup people. It is called taxation without representation. Have we turned into a nation of sheeple who are afraid or just plain to lazy to stand up for what is right ?????. I have not forgotten the lessons taught by history , and while I do not propose we take to arms over this , we still need to fight. It is wrong and no amount of politically correct BS from the EAA so called leadership will make it right. I say fight !!!!.

If GA put the cost of ATC services being charged by the FAA, up to a vote of the general tax payer, the fight to have the FAA cover the cost would go down in flames. Maybe it is best to bit the bullet on this one and get as much time as we can on the free ride we have enjoyed for so long. No doubt GA will be faced with more and more user fees in the future. Entering a winner-take-all fight now, could mean we loose a lot sooner, rather than later.

Best Regards.......George
    George Dean
    CP-ASMEL/I, S-6ES
    EAA, APA, & AOPA member
    KTYL/KGEU, EAA White Mountain Chapter 586 - Show Low Regional KSOW
    "If you go down, go down standing up"

Quote Originally Posted by vaflier View Post
    I disagree, If Oshkosh was canceled this year when all the money that would be spent in the surrounding areas failed to appear as a result of the FAA trying to rob us just how much hell would be raised by the business community and ultimately by their congress person. How many dollars would go elsewhere as a result, millions perhaps when you consider that every dollar we spend in the hotels, restaraunts, bars, stores and many other places gets spent many times over by employess and business owners within the surrounding area. My guess is we would not have this problem next year as congress would be forced to act to reign in the FAA as a result of the public outcry. It would certainly strenghten our position and at the least increase our bargaining power. There is no down side for the EAA except for the loss of revenue, which is where this decision came from. I stll say stand and fight , raise my dues to offset the loss of income. Have we not seen this before ???, Wakeup people. It is called taxation without representation. Have we turned into a nation of sheeple who are afraid or just plain to lazy to stand up for what is right ?????. I have not forgotten the lessons taught by history , and while I do not propose we take to arms over this , we still need to fight. It is wrong and no amount of politically correct BS from the EAA so called leadership will make it right. I say fight !!!!.
    Very well said and no argument from me. But getting Congress to accomplish anything "for the people" is becoming a thing of the past. But still, I do my part and try.

Quote Originally Posted by vaflier View Post
    I disagree, If Oshkosh was canceled this year when all the money that would be spent in the surrounding areas failed to appear as a result of the FAA trying to rob us just how much hell would be raised by the business community and ultimately by their congress person.
    I believe that you may labor under the misconception that the current regime cares what the business community, Congress, or the general electorate thinks, or says, or does.

What about events that require additional ATC services that aren't made to pay? I thought the Super Bowl doesn't have to pay. What about the Masters?

Oh, that's right. The corporate jet users are likely large political donors. Can't get them upset. As anything in government; follow the money.
    Last edited by PaulDow; 03-23-2014 at 06:57 PM.