Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choosing the right one

I agree with the Challenger 2, this would be a good choice. My cousin owns one and it has shown itself to be a safe, reliable, and cheap ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahsliefie View Post
    I am looking at getting an ultralight that can get me off the ground. I just want to fly! The only requirement is it must have 2 seats so I can take a friend up for sight seeing. I weigh 170 lb. I have a budget of $8000. So it will be older and used and I do like the idea of experimental as I am a mechanic and am building a Cozy MK IV.
    This is from the Yahoo Quicksilver forum. Would probably be in your price range.

"See it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSMsq...re=c4-overview add three years wear and tear since the video... located far western N.C. registered EAB in 1984 call my cell if intrested (706)-897-8667"

__._,_.___

I disagree with the Challenger II. I have seen to many of them that needed a lot of work to get them to fly right. If this is the sort of machine you want I have information on what I call a "poor mans cub" that you should consider. It is a great little plane near Pittsburgh PA. My favorite and priced to sell. PM or call me before you purchase the Challenger.

I would have mentioned it earlier but it is above your $8,000 limit posted earlier.
    Last edited by jedi; 03-23-2014 at 03:58 PM.

I was in this boat too: bugged out of renting due to costs. I did similar research, too. That said, $8000 leaves not a lot of room for maneuvering. I had $12,000 and I ended with a Carlson and $50/month covered parking. At that price I could've gotten a Kitfox with 582. Anything less, and I would start looking at Quicksilvers.

A weight-shift is something to consider too.

As far as Challengers go, I know someone who is flying a single-seater with a 503. It gets the job done. However, his cockpit is ridiculously tight. Not sure if every one of them is like that.

I can fit into an E-LSA Kolb, which seems like a nice option.

Still, finding a flyable Challenger or Kolb at $8000 is difficult, at least in my opinion. I'm not a savvy shopper.