Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Open Source Aircraft Design for CNC?

I love this idea. Might be a candidate for a kickstarter?

The issues with different CNC machines using different coding or languages isn't an issue, almost without exception the CNC software that drives the machines will import a CAD File (either Solidworks or Autocad) and convert it to the coordinates that the machine needs, based on the particular config of the machine. With precise CAD files, it will be up to the end user to convert to whatever they need - the end result however are components that are absolutely accurate and identical, no matter where they are made. Its a principle already widely used in general industry - the Chinese are particularly good at cloning CAD files to make "cheap alternative" products! the idea has a lot of merit - no longer do you buy a roll of paper plans, you get a disc with the CAD file and start carving from there... Wooden aircraft arent my thing, but good luck with the concept. Its sort of the "social media" method of construction - the way for the new century. Dream big!
    "If it was supposed to be easy, everybody would be doing it...."

Proud designer / builder of Avian Adventurer ZK-CKE.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi ZK-CKE View Post
    Wooden aircraft arent my thing, but good luck with the concept. Its sort of the "social media" method of construction - the way for the new century. Dream big!
    Actually our first design will probably be mainly composite with wooden bits and metal here and there. Also, we have other open source aviation related files that we will be populating up in the project repository including avionics, tools, 3D objects for 3D printers etc. This means that people don't have to wait for the aircraft design to hopefully get some value out of open source aviation. People can check out the repository on our site. Matjaz Vidmar kindly gave us permission to use the avionics files that he has published on his website as a starting point and although they need updating, hopefully someone will pick up that task and move it forward. If nothing else, it provides a great starting point for new projects and may give people some inspiration at least.
    Last edited by JNicol; 06-18-2012 at 08:23 AM.
    John Nicol
    EAA #835498

Quote Originally Posted by Brian E. Evans View Post
    One of the difficulties of generating G code for different CNC machines is that not all machines are equal . Some use line numbers , others do not, some can use higher level codes, others reduce the inputs to X Y and Z steps in two of three thousanth of an inch, with files that are horrendusly long. There is no one size fits all here, which is really what is trying to be achieved.
    Brian Evans.
    Hi Brian,

We will be supplying the CAD files which can be then used to convert to g-code specific to a users requirements and as I indicated, we will also be supplying the native g-code for anyone that might be using the same CNC machine and want to use the same settings. This is just for convenience only. The default will always be the CAD files.

John
    John Nicol
    EAA #835498

Cool idea. I built an oversize JGRO wood router that can handle a 2'x4' sheet of wood. Total cost of the machine was around $800. I have used it a number of times while building my plans built Sonex. For your plane I would suggest not giving up the idea of being able to use aluminum sheetmetal on the router. I have been able to cut out the .025 wing ring blanks on the router as well as make wood form to bend the flanges over. The aluminum cut just like plywood but at a slightly slower feed rate. The key with aluminum sheet is to make sure it has something under it (MDF works great) and have a starter hole for the router to make an initial plunge cut through.

Keith

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer Jeffrey Meyer's Avatar
    Hi Kieth,
    Thanks for the input - can you give us a few pointers/links on how to build such a router.
    What software do you use?

Jeffrey

MakerPlane Competition

Hi Everyone,

Jeffrey has created a small scale prototype composite seat for MakerPlane v1.0 in order to work through some manufacturing techniques and to get feedback on instructional material. So we would definitely want some feedback from the community as we make progress! Also, we will be at Oshkosh next month and have secured a booth in the Innovation Centre to talk to people about our open source projects and what we are up to!

Name:  seat_quarter_scale_120621.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  62.3 KB

We have decided to run a small competition to see other seat builds based on Jeffrey's plans. If you bring your completed full-scale seat to Oshkosh to show us and the rest of the world, we will give you a free, very cool, limited edition, rare, collectors item embroidered MakerPlane Open Source Aviation shirt! If you are not attending Oshkosh, post up pix of your seat in our forum and the team will vote on the best one and send you a shirt! Hey in a couple of hundred years they will be worth millions on eBay!

http://makerplane.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=79

It would certainly help us out and at the end of the day, you will have your very own MakerPlane chair to sit on and make airplane noises!

Name:  seat plans sml.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  11.8 KB

Have a great day!
    John Nicol
    EAA #835498

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyM View Post
    Hi Kieth,
    Thanks for the input - can you give us a few pointers/links on how to build such a router.
    What software do you use?

Jeffrey
    The best place to go to find out how to build your own is cnczone.com. There is a forum there for DIY CNC routers.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...able_machines/

The JGRO router is probably the simplest to build requiring only some basic wood working tools but it isn't the fastest or most ridgid machine out there. I took the basic design, scaled it up and added things like antibacklash nuts, ball bearings on the ACME leadscrews, a bunch of gussetts to stiffen up the gantry, and some larger pipe for the roller skate bearings to ride on. A friend and I built the machine over a weeks time between christmas and new years.

As for software I use Vectric Aspire to generate most of the G-code and tool paths and then use Mach 3 to actually run the stepper motors. There are less expensive products out there from Vectric such as Cut 2d if you are only interested in cutting out flat 2 dimensional objects. If you are into Linux there is also a bunch of free software out there. Take a look around on the cnczone.com forums as there are specific sub forums for all the different software packages there.

Keith